How do I add more base to cassette recordings

tboneman

I've downloaded 4 or 5 NCH programs, and like all of them. There is a learning curve, but it's not bad. After an hour using WordPad, I was able to record a song from a commercial cassette. The quality (using some of the filters) sounds much better than the cassette,

However, what I'd like to do is add in more base before transfering the songs to a CD. This is often done with an equalizer, but I can't seem to find one among the various programs. Maybe I just missed it. Or maybe there's another way to do it.

Suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Wes N

I've downloaded 4 or 5 NCH programs, and like all of them. There is a learning curve, but it's not bad. After an hour using WordPad, I was able to record a song from a commercial cassette. The quality (using some of the filters) sounds much better than the cassette,

However, what I'd like to do is add in more base before transfering the songs to a CD. This is often done with an equalizer, but I can't seem to find one among the various programs. Maybe I just missed it. Or maybe there's another way to do it.

Suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Wes N

Here's a suggestion.

Maybe you forgot to look in the "effects" menu! Unless my eyes deceive me, there is an entry there which says equalizer.

Could this be the very same equalizer that _you_ are asking about? Note that I did not hop, skip, or jump over it, as you seem to have done :-)

Here's a suggestion.

Maybe you forgot to look in the "effects" menu! Unless my eyes deceive me, there is an entry there which says equalizer.

Could this be the very same equalizer that _you_ are asking about? Note that I did not hop, skip, or jump over it, as you seem to have done :-)

Maybe you forgot to look in the "effects" menu!

No, I didn't forget to look at the 'effects' menu. I read every word in the help file. First off, it doesn't look like any equalizer I've ever seen or used. And I've used a few. Secondly, for all its features, it offers very few examples.

OK, it could be argued there are simply too many possibilities to provide examples for. I would suggest, however, that what I'm trying to do is very typical of what most audiophiles and ordinary listeners want to hear...more base. If there is a base guitar, we want to hear it; if the drummer is using his base drum, we want to hear it.

WavePad is a very powerful little program, no question. But from a new user standpoint, it's not the most intuitive program I've ever used. Altho I come out of the broadcasting industry, I'm not a sound engineer. And don't want to be. I simply want to do one thing...add in more base, to the entire song. Then decide if I added too much or too little, and be able to change it as desired.

And I havn't "hopped, skipped nor jumped" in so many years I don't think I'd remember how.

Wes

Maybe you forgot to look in the "effects" menu!

No, I didn't forget to look at the 'effects' menu. I read every word in the help file. First off, it doesn't look like any equalizer I've ever seen or used. And I've used a few. Secondly, for all its features, it offers very few examples.

OK, it could be argued there are simply too many possibilities to provide examples for. I would suggest, however, that what I'm trying to do is very typical of what most audiophiles and ordinary listeners want to hear...more base. If there is a base guitar, we want to hear it; if the drummer is using his base drum, we want to hear it.

WavePad is a very powerful little program, no question. But from a new user standpoint, it's not the most intuitive program I've ever used. Altho I come out of the broadcasting industry, I'm not a sound engineer. And don't want to be. I simply want to do one thing...add in more base, to the entire song. Then decide if I added too much or too little, and be able to change it as desired.

And I havn't "hopped, skipped nor jumped" in so many years I don't think I'd remember how.

Wes

Hey Wes,

I was only doing this last week, so can help you out. Your wanting to modify the track with an effect, so select Effect > Equalizer.

You can select a preset filter, or simple make your own by "shaping" the equalizer with way points. The shape of the curve will be applied to the whole track or a sampled region of the track, if so selected prior to selecting the equalizer. Have a play with different shapes and you should be able to achieve what you were looking for.

Tip: Google search the presets to learn about different passing methods and cutting, i did, and theres a lota info out there :)

GL

Hey Wes,

I was only doing this last week, so can help you out. Your wanting to modify the track with an effect, so select Effect > Equalizer.

You can select a preset filter, or simple make your own by "shaping" the equalizer with way points. The shape of the curve will be applied to the whole track or a sampled region of the track, if so selected prior to selecting the equalizer. Have a play with different shapes and you should be able to achieve what you were looking for.

Tip: Google search the presets to learn about different passing methods and cutting, i did, and theres a lota info out there :)

GL

GL,

Thanks for the comeback, and the info. I will definitely do some googling,

Wes