Port 8880 not open

mikechymbor

Every time Express rip tries to access the freedb server, I get the error message "The operation failed when trying to access the freedb Internet Server. Check that you have port 8880 open for this application and try again later." I tried setting an exception for Express rip in windows Firewall but this didn't help. does anyone have an answer for this bug?

• 2 weeks later...
Every time Express rip tries to access the freedb server, I get the error message "The operation failed when trying to access the freedb Internet Server. Check that you have port 8880 open for this application and try again later." I tried setting an exception for Express rip in windows Firewall but this didn't help. does anyone have an answer for this bug?

Same problem here. Are we alone?

The problem is your firewall settings, if you are using one. You need to allow access permission to express Rip

The problem is your firewall settings, if you are using one. You need to allow access permission to express Rip

HJC's msg was incomplete. Fact is Express Rip was functioning OK; then suddenly, the port 8880 error msg poped up!

Some hours later, Express Rip worked again as if nothing had occured.

I'm having the same probelm!!!! Cannot access freeDB because the port 8880 is not open... Can't figure it out. Must be bug.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I too have the problem. Temporary turning off fire wall etc does no good. This occurs while other similar software does get data from freedb.

I'm having the same problem. Thought it was because I was using a free download, but since buying the licence still have this problem.

• 1 month later...

I think this is a generic message the software gives when it can't find info on the freeDB server. I don't know why it gets confused, but that's what's happening. Sometimes it's because the freeDB server is too busy and it can't locate the info within the few seconds alotted. Going to the freedb web page will work fine because you have unlimited time to access the page. Trying again later will often work. But other cds just never work. The cd's I get this message on work fine in Itunes, I just don't like the Itunes format.

• 13 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried the updated version and it seemed to work, but of course they want to charge you for the update. When features disappear from the version I bought, without explanation or warning, and you can't get support or help from anyone, it really makes me hesitate to buy any more of their products.