Portable Mode

consti

Hey there!

Since VideoPad (and all others from the Suite) run from ProgramFiles in AppData, it should be also possible to use the relative location of the executable to access the other folders that are required.

Is it thus possible to configure the NCH Suite to run from a portable directory? Shouldn't be too difficult, right?

Any solution is welcome (editing the executable if needed too)

Thanks

Hi

Not exactly clear what you might be after but VP 6.01 has an option on the main toolbar labelled NCH Suite. Selecting this option opens a window with shortcuts to other NCH programs. If you have downloaded and registered any of these previously then you are prompted  to Run it Now. Alternatively if you haven't downloaded the program you are prompted to Try it Now .

Nat

Please refrain from sharing irrelevant information (no offence).

I am talking about running the whole Suite from a portable directory, this means that you can have that folder on your USB drive and when you start it on another computer, your configurations and installations will be there. Portable means you can take the whole thing with you without losing data or having to reinstall anything.

As I have too much time, I configured the PortableApps.comLauncher to do exactly that, though it would have been better to have an official solution. Anyways, if you would like to test it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1J6KGlIXmoqnkZ9CgO9ngp9wzL8EJEBmR (by standards of PortableApps.com, using the PortableApps.comLauncher, the PortableApps.comInstaller and the PortableApps.comLauncher Manual).

This little program will automatically copy the NCH Software AppData and your NCH registry keys to a local directory after you are done working, meaning that you can start this on another computer right away. It will there copy your existing data to the appropriate location, thus restoring all your settings and applications.

Hi Consti

"Any solution is welcome .........""   (But then...perhaps not.)

"Please refrain from sharing irrelevant information (no offence). "    :huh:

Forum members contribute with info and suggestions that they think might be useful   In this case obviously not. Your explanation above makes things clearer and your solution is worth looking at. It may be NCH will incorporate something like you suggest

You obviously felt your comment was offensive otherwise you wouldn't have asked me not to be offended.

However no offense taken .

Nat

I knew some people would take offense in that, I thought however this was completely irrelevant and obviously at that. Seems I should have been a bit more clear on my expectations.

Thank you for taking it in a friendly manner.

Consti