In and Out Points V.4.45

eager to learn

Hi,

I'm a newbie to both video editing and Videopad.

I watched a YouTube video on how to use VideoPad but she was using Ver. 2.2 and that looks different than the v. 4,45 I just downloaded.

She instructs that when you wish to set the In point for a video you click a Red Flag. I don't see any Red Flag button on my more recent version.

She then instructs that you set the Out point but pressing the Blue Flag button. I don't see any Blue Flag button on my more recent version.

Maybe I’m not in the correct positioning?

I have the first frame of the video I want in the larger white window in the upper left and it has a green check mark in it for some reason.

IN the Video Track 1 "timeline" I see several video frames but not the one I wish to start with.

I'm not sure how to resolve this?

Once I do have the In/Out set correctly, must I first Save the Project or can I just export that video selection portion of the video by pressing the Export Video tab?

Will the sound to the original video just carry over to the edited video portion or must Ii do something to the sound time line (below the video timeline), too?

Thanks so much for your help.

Hi

The "larger white window on the upper left" is the media list window showing the clips you have added to VP. In fact there are several windows (or bins) depending on which tab at the top is being used. (Sequences/ Video clips/Images/Audio clips)

The green check mark you mention is to show that you have placed the clip onto the timeline. (ie ..it is being used)

Note: The IN/OUT markers only display in CLIP PREVIEW and only with Video clips.

As you have already placed the clip onto the timeline it is presumably in an unedited state..i.e. you have not yet used the IN/OUT markers, therefore the clip you see there, along with its thumbnails represents the complete clip.

Selecting the clip on the timeline will not now show Clip preview but Sequence Preview instead.

It is probably better to use the IN/OUT settings before you add the clip to the sequence but you can do it either way.

So in your situation having already added the clip,you must first select the clip on the timeline (left click it) then toggle the preview screen to show Clip preview.

This will now show the timeline clip.

Below the image you should see a line of thumbnails from the clip and below this a marked time line. As VP generates the thumbnails and deals with the file a green progress bar will gradually extend from left to right along this timeline .

At the extreme left of the thumbnail line is the thin red "scrubber" bar which can be grabbed and moved along the clip if required.

At the left hand end of the green bar you should have the red IN marker [ and at the right hand end the blue OUT marker ]

These can be grabbed and slid to new IN and OUT points (IN always to the left of out) and will mark the start position and stop position when the clip is played. The excluded sections of the clip will become greyed out along the preview thumbnail line. The section to be used will remain bright.

The timeline clip will now adjust to the IN/OUT settings by greying out and being removed. In effect you are now cutting the clip at your selected start and end points.

Note that in the Clip Preview screen, the selected timing positions are automatically marked above the Start and End buttons.

As mentioned, you could also set IN/OUT points before you place the clip on the timeline. If you do this the clip will be edited but will not have the green tick mark until you actually place it on the timeline.

As you are in effect cutting off (splitting and removing) sections of your clip, the sound track will also be edited simultaneously.So no need to worry out that. You should remember that the clip file is not actually physically cut..the computer file remains untouched in reality. VP simply notes the edit points you make and shows the effect you have created on screen. This means you can select the file again and re-edit it differently to place in a different part of your film.

It's a good idea to save your project before you try out a new editing technique as you can always reload it if it all goes wrong.. Use "Save project as" and use a different name each time. Something sequential (e.g. .Pr1 Pr2 Pr3 etc.) The file you create each time is a .vpj. file which VP uses to re-create your work. Doing this means you can go back to any previous stage of your work. Don't Export it unless you have finished editing it.

It is worthwhile mentioning here that we have discussed using the IN/OUT points to edit your clips before creating your film sequence, but if you think about old type movie film you could do your editing as though it was film. Place each bit of film on the timeline. (the clips) Put them in order by simply dragging them. Move the cursor line to the selected edit point. Split. Move to a different edit point and Split again. (e.g. IN/OUT) Remove the unwanted bit between the splits and close the gap. Just like real film. The difference is that you can easily get back a bit you cut off by mistake by grabbing and dragging out the ends you cut.

Hope this helps

Nat