.m4a File Format?

Betsybb

Does Express Scribe accept the .m4a file format? I just received one today, and it won't load.

I'm running version 4.10 because I get a lot of .dss files to transcribe and don't want to open a can of worms with .dss compatibility by upgrading to a newer version.

Thanks,

Betsy

Does Express Scribe accept the .m4a file format?

No, it doesn't. Please select "Send Improvement Suggestion or Feedback" from Scribe's Help menu and post M4A file format support as a suggestion.

In the meantime, if you have Express Dictate then I believe it should be able to open your file. Otherwise, both Switch and WavePad should also be able to convert it to a format that Scribe understands.

No, it doesn't. Please select "Send Improvement Suggestion or Feedback" from Scribe's Help menu and post M4A file format support as a suggestion.

In the meantime, if you have Express Dictate then I believe it should be able to open your file. Otherwise, both Switch and WavePad should also be able to convert it to a format that Scribe understands.

Thank you for your reply. I'd never heard of an .m4a file, and when I couldn't it to load, I had to do some online research. That led me to Switch, which was, surprise, on the NCH website. Once I downloaded Switch, it took less than minute to convert the file to an .mp3. After that I had no problems loading it into Express Scribe and transcribing it. Thanks for another great program!

• 8 months later...

Hi, I have the same problem, but when I convert with either Switch or Wave Pad, Express Scribe still says that the duration of the file is 0 sec, and it won't open...

The information above is quite old - Express Scribe has supported M4A format for a while now, so you should be able to load the file without converting it.

Having said that, you will have problems if the file is DRM protected.

• 11 months later...

The information above is quite old - Express Scribe has supported M4A format for a while now, so you should be able to load the file without converting it.

Having said that, you will have problems if the file is DRM protected.

Hi, I have the same problem on one computer (it will not play m4a), however on another computer the same file will play. I don't want to have to convert so is there a reason as to why it would only play on the one pc?

Thanks