Background overexposed

trimsails

I took a couple videos this weekend. We were on a porch with a sunny lake in the background. Unfortunately this was a mistake. The lake is very bright and the subject is dark.

What can I do to correct this recording error? I looked over video effects, but I'm a newbie and not sure.

Thanks,

Jerry

Hi

It's always difficult shooting into the light to get the exposure correct for a foreground subject. Most camreras withh try to compensate and a lot depends on the type of exposure setup the camera has.

Videopad can allow you to make some correction by using the "Brightness/Contrast/Gamma" effect

This is the sort of result you can expect..... but a lot depends on the actual footage.

z40270c4r5.jpg

This clip was split and the right hand section had the brighness and contrast adjusted to bring out some of the underexposed detail. Obviously if there is just total black or silhouettes of the subject then it may not work;there must be some detail to pull out.

You may find that altering (increasing) the brightness will bring out something at the expense of the contrast,(and the already bright background) but bringing up the contrast may result in a very hard image. You will have to experiment.

Nat