how do you restrict mp3 file sizes aftr spliting

J.P.

I have a long audio recording in mp3 format of 77MB in size and 56mins in length, which I have attempted to break into appropriate sections.

However, when I break the mp3 into up into smaller sections of between 5 and 6 mins the files individually vary in size between 40 and 70 MB and now collectively are of size 557 MB. The files have been saved as uncompressed .wav files. I also tried saving them as lame mp3's but could not get a satisfactory reduction in file size.

I would like to maintain the mp3 overall combined file size at 77MB after I split it up into smaller files so I can burn onto a music album onto a CD-R.

Can anyone recommend a file type or method which will allow me to split this audio file into 10 tracks without increasing the size?

I have a long audio recording in mp3 format of 77MB in size and 56mins in length, which I have attempted to break into appropriate sections.

However, when I break the mp3 into up into smaller sections of between 5 and 6 mins the files individually vary in size between 40 and 70 MB and now collectively are of size 557 MB. The files have been saved as uncompressed .wav files. I also tried saving them as lame mp3's but could not get a satisfactory reduction in file size.

I would like to maintain the mp3 overall combined file size at 77MB after I split it up into smaller files so I can burn onto a music album onto a CD-R.

Can anyone recommend a file type or method which will allow me to split this audio file into 10 tracks without increasing the size?

Your file size [ theoretically ] can only grow if you change something.

You neglected to mention what the bit-rate and frequency were on the original as comparedto the saved versions.

I'll bvet if you check, you'll find a difference, hence the increase in file size.

In order to save properly and not get "fixed" by the default setting,

first fix the frequency, there is an option under file, convert sample rate, once you change that, then choose save file as, then choose bit rate.