Express talk connects to Amazon?

loucostello

I'm new to Express Talk, just set it up. Running Vista, with ZoneAlarm firewall using free provider iptel.org

ZoneAlarm is catching Express Talk trying to connect at random times to two IP addresses

1. 69.90.168.13 - peer1.net (a hosting service)

2. 75.101.138.128 - Amazon.com

Does anyone know why?

I have at this point made no calls and have Express Talk set to stay quiet but it keeps hitting my Firewall.

Express Talk (as with most VoIP clients) will periodically connect to STUN servers such as the ones you posted to collect information on NAT/Network Routing to help calls go through even behind network routing devices and/or firewalls.

Express Talk (as with most VoIP clients) will periodically connect to STUN servers such as the ones you posted to collect information on NAT/Network Routing to help calls go through even behind network routing devices and/or firewalls.

Thank you Pythonpoole, I was hoping it was something along those lines.

With all this going on "even behind network....and/or firewalls" is there a security risk that needs considering?

If there is, can someone point me in a good direction for information on controlling security for VOIP?

I frequently need to use my laptop in university and public settings. I assume a lack of privacy but particularly within the university setting, I am concerned with non-secure openings through my firewall. And just to preempt those with the logically correct answer, "Don't use it in those settings," the whole point of my foray into VOIP is to use it in those settings.

Thanks again.

Using STUN servers does not reduce the security level of your network. The only real purpose it serves is to identify ports that are already open and can be used for signalling and and audio transmission. STUN servers are also used to collect information about your connection such as your public IP address.

So basically to sum things up, VoIP apps look for holes in the network that are already there but don't try to create ones. By default all routers and firewalls will already have ports open to allow for such communication (e.g. for VoIP, Games, Instant Messenging, PeerToPeer, etc.) and STUN servers simply aid in finding these holes.

If you block all the ports on your router/firewall except for port 80 (http web browsing), VoIP and other Internet based applications will either not work, or will have severely reduced performance (e.g. delayed audio, poor quality sound, etc.)

You can disable stun servers in Express Talk and manually enter the network details if you prefer, although this will not work well if you have a dynamic IP address.

Using STUN servers does not reduce the security level of your network. ...

You can disable stun servers in Express Talk and manually enter the network details if you prefer, although this will not work well if you have a dynamic IP address.

Thanks. After reading a lot about it, your explanation sums it up best. Could have saved myself some time and just waited for the answer.

Again, many thanks. I consider this thread closed.