Audio MP3 File opens as blank

rickcf

In short, I have this problem:

http://www.nch.com.au/kb/10083.html

I get an audio MP3 file from this particular web site it opens as empty in wavepad. I used to get them in wav files but they just switched to mp3. I break them up and put them on CDRW in tracks to listen in the car. I have tried using switch to convert it to many types including mp3 and wav and they all open as blank. I open the original file in Windows Media player and it opens and sounds fine but it will not do anything in wavepad. The file shows as 64kbps and is not protected.

I open other MP3 files in WavePad and it works just fine but not these files.

Any ideas or support on this issue? If not I will just have to find someother software to use for these files. Thanks

Rick

Make sure that the MP3 files that you are getting from your music source and trying to open, do not have any cover art embedded in the file tag. If they do, they will not load properly. If this is the case, the workaround for this is to get an MP3 tag editor (free off the internet) and remove the cover art, then edit your MP3 file and then you can put the cover art back using the tag editor if you wish. This worked for me, I hope it does for you too.

Cheers!

Jim

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Make sure that the MP3 files that you are getting from your music source and trying to open, do not have any cover art embedded in the file tag. If they do, they will not load properly. If this is the case, the workaround for this is to get an MP3 tag editor (free off the internet) and remove the cover art, then edit your MP3 file and then you can put the cover art back using the tag editor if you wish. This worked for me, I hope it does for you too.

Cheers!

Jim

BLOODY GOOD TIP....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is also caller a HEADER, and a text editor may be able to delete it as well

like notepad or wordpad. the only thing I don't know is, what they look like when

opened up and, can the offending data be easily identified?

I ask, because, everyone has their own special code, and that special code

is what will screw up software like NERO, and tell you, that your 50mb is now 1100mb.

I need to look further into this and see if someone has compiled a list of offending HEADER BAR info

that can be referred to.

I haven't opened up an audio file with notepad, but I was told about this from

a guy who works at DENON and he told me about the header bar and to use a text editor

to fix problems that each company puts in their product.

I just opened this mp3 file with notepad and copied part of what was in the header;

[ ID3

fTALB Inv Journal March 2008TPE1 Greg SzymanskiCOMM ¼ eng Eric Jon ]

the rest was a bunch of different websites related to the author

then the body of the mp3 looked like this;

ÿã ÀÕÈÞ…¾HFh44“‚§áE´#jViTXTË%ÕtMpqÛ¦ÈZESÉÛ±Škn&Q¢PÈY$×gI$µ@>¯mÉ$‹O6]‘Žè£h´^*®m.„¹7´«3LÜúUÿã ÀÔY…žIF 4Ëvõì±N¡îtS›y€‘a@¸ÕÜRqeHÂ3`á

I use a hex editor to look at the header. Then I use the MP3 spec to decode. The spec can be found on the web. Sorry, I forgot the URL. Use search engine to find.

The hex editor that I use is UltraEdit from www.ultraedit.com. It is a very powerful and very stable text editor that I have been for almost 10 years, in place of Notepad. It allows me to edit in hex, unicode, programming-language sensitive, etc... It allows to edit huge files, which notepad does not.

Some ID3 tags are now encoded with international language based on unicode. If a sound decoder does not understand unicode, it can screw up.