Is this AXON, Voicemail or Music-on-Hold Issue?

niddnet

Hi all, pretty new to this, but reasonably familiar with networking / ports / forwarding / etc.

Here's the problem, and here's what I've tried, found out, discovered etc.

Running latest (demo) versions of Axon, Voicemail and Music-on-Hold (or whatever they're called!!)

No hardware - just a NAT / uPnP router, a couple of SIP registrations with local numbers, and a few

extensions (IP phones, and softphones).

Calls INTO the PBX on my SIP line, and calls FROM the PBX over my SIP line are functioning

mostly as they should - two-way audio, conversations, little lag - a perfectly usable system with

the hunt groups, extension assignment etc, working fine. However, the Voicemail / Music-on-Hold

systems do NOT send any audio out over the SIP line. (audio is received and recorded on voicemail)

However, using IP phones (etc), everything works exactly as it should, including both VMB and MoH,

and the really strange thing, this works either side of my router (indeed, either side of the world - I

got a friend in the USA (I'm in UK) to set up an extension on my PBX and we talked, and played VMB

and MoH by dialing their respective extensions).

I know I've set this up once before as proof-of-concept, and everything worked fine. It seems that

the RTP packets are seemingly disappearing before, or when they get to my SIP Provider or something.

I haven't run ethereal or anything yet, but that's my next option.

For clarification, I run a 24MBit ADSL line with (for testing) no firewalls on my PBX or the router, the

PBX which is, just for the purposes of this exercise, in the DMZ.

No, it's not secure, but it's all I could think of to try and get it to work.

My SIP provider is SipGate (who I know can be flaky at times...) but this exact set-up has worked

for me in the past.

So where should I look? Axon? Voicemail? MoH? Or SipGate?

I'd welcome some knowledge, so I can narrow it down somewhat before I pay for support or pay for

the product!!

(fwiw: TrixBox II worked fine doing everything, but I needed a Windows solution!!)

Thanks to anyone who can help out!

Well, this is a bit of a strange problem; usually problems related to audio (e.g. being only one way) are the result of port forwarding issues.. but as you said for all intents and purposes of the test, the PBX is in a DMZ zone with no active firewall.

Music on hold is known for causing some issues with some providers. What happens is when for example you press the hold button on your SIP phone / Express Talk, it sends an 'on hold' message to the VoIP provider (SipGate). Now some providers choose to ignore this message and the phone or Axon will play the appropriate music... on the other hand some times the provider decides it will take matters into its own hands, and either decides to play its own music or play nothing at all (so the line appears dead basically).

So, that is all very well.. and it *could* explain the problem with Music On Hold, however you would be right to point out that this theory has a major flaw. The fact is, this does not in anyway shape or form explain the problems with IVM / Voice Mail. The issue is, the problem seems to be the same for MoH & IVM making it sound like there is one solution for both, but I cannot find any.

I'll keep looking for an explanation, but at the moment I'm out of suggestions.

I should add as well, I have two incoming SIP lines - one of which rings on ext 199 directly

(to go straight to VMB) and another that rings straight to 197 (for MoH) - and reading all the

logs, there's no actual 'CALL ON HOLD' data - but then no calls are actually being placed onto

hold... so I'm confident it's not the SIP provider intercepting the 'hold' signal.

If anyone would like to look at the system, let me know, and I'll arrange some access to the

system directly for you.

Another update...

I've packet-sniffed the call, and it all seems fine... there's a roughly equal number of RTP going to and from

the Axon PBX to the world, and back again... but no audio.

I do get a couple of funny messages though - 1 - Unknown RTP Type 0... and something about 'Powerschool'

which seems to have some relation to UDP 5071.

Anything else I can try?

To recap - SIP - SIP works fine, on and off my network. 'Normal' SIP-Trunk calls work fine, as do Trunk-SIP.

However, when using Trunk-SIP or SIP-Trunk, VMB and MoH do not seem to pass audio.

Config: Trunk line 014xxxxx999 goes straight to ext 197 (MoH), 014xxxxx666 goes to ext 199 (VMB)

014xxxxx777 goes to ext 101

Dialing 197 or 199 from SIP devices direct work fine. Dialing from a trunk does not. Dialing the trunk-sip

number (xxx777) rings on ext 101, and calls take place normally. Dialing from ext 101 to trunk, calls are

fine too.

HELP!!! (please?)

R.