Recommended Setup\Purchase

qaza2k9

I am trying to get some suggestions on setting this all up. I have 15 employees I want to have voicemailboxes. Do I need 15 lines for each person or can I set this system up when someone calls they will be given some choices such as dial by name or leave a voice mail for a certain person. Please advise on a good setup for 15 employees.

Well, if you're on a tight budget a 1 line system can get the job done just fine. Person calls in, IVM answers their call and asks for the extension (or to 'dial by name') and then IVM transfers the call over to the appropriate extension.

For this set-up I recommend using a VoIP system with a PBX (e.g. NCH's free Axon PBX software). The PBX will manage your calls, and route them to the appropriate destinations, and handle call transfers and voicemail. The basic concept is that each employee has an SIP compatible VoIP phone with their own extension. Each one of these phones is connected to Axon via your network, and each extension has its own corresponding mailbox created in IVM. When a call comes in, Axon sends it to IVM, IVM determines where the call is destined for and transfers the call there. If there is no answer, Axon will send the call back to IVM which will then take a voice mail message.

In terms of actually hooking up your system to a phone line people can call in on, you have three options:

1) The VoIP method:

Pros:

- Much cheaper, often around $5 - $7/mo for incoming phone number as opposed to normal landline providers that charge you on average in excess of $25/mo

- Cheaper outbound rates as well (many VoIP services offer great rates like 1.5c/min to anywhere in North America, $35/mo for unlimited worldwide calling)

- Doesn't require the purchase of expensive professional Telephony Boards or other hardware

Cons:

- Requires a reliable and relatively fast internet connection (all calls put through over the internet)

- Voice quality varies based on network set-up, distance factors, interference, other activity on your network, etc.

2) The Telephony Board method:

Pros:

- No Internet connection required

- Relatively easy to set-up if you already have a normal phone service running at the location

Cons:

- Boards are costly (most in excess of $200)

- Requires normal land-line phone service (more expensive than VoIP)

3) The FXO adapter method:

Pros:

- No Internet connection required

- Cheaper than a telephony board

Cons:

- Quite difficult to set-up, may require the help of an expert

- Can only support 1 line per adapter, as opposed to telephony board which could support several lines

- Requires regular phone service (more expensive than VoIP)

If you go the VoIP method, it may be cost effective to just give everyone a separate number considering the fact it only costs around $6 or so whereas a normal landline telco would probably charge you $50 start-up fee for each line as well as an ongoing monthly of fee of $25+

I will have to use a land line because we have a t1, but rather not use up bandwidth. Since I have 15 employees including myself, do I need to get a line for each person or I can use 1 line for all? I was planning on getting one of the telephony boards.

You can use one line for all with a telephony board. Just keep in mind that the phones for your 15 employees must be VoIP phones (either SIP compatible hard-phones, or a softphone like Express Talk) unless you plan on using a PBX other than Axon.