Can this software do this?

mav

I was reading some of the specs on this software on the ability to make outgoing calls and play a wav, mp3 etc file. and this can be triggered via a command line?

I have been trying to see how this works and cant get it too work....

What I am trying to do is the following: We have a monitoring system for our network. If the power goes down I want this system to dial out and play a message to my cell phone etc...via an analog line. I am using a USR PCI Voice modem. I also have a sound card with in/out connected to the modem...

Will this software be able to do this?

Express Talk isn't able to do this, but NCH's IVM software can. IVM will interface directly with your Voice enabled TAPI compliant modem and can answer inbound or initiate outbound calls and play various sound files / IVR menus, text to speech announcements etc. IVM has it's own simple SDK which allows you to initiate outbound calls to a number of your choosing by simply executing the program with command line arguments.

Express Talk isn't able to do this, but NCH's IVM software can. IVM will interface directly with your Voice enabled TAPI compliant modem and can answer inbound or initiate outbound calls and play various sound files / IVR menus, text to speech announcements etc. IVM has it's own simple SDK which allows you to initiate outbound calls to a number of your choosing by simply executing the program with command line arguments.

Can you provide me with an example on how to test this and make sure it does not answer incoming calls?

Sure.

In settings > telephony, add your voice modem device to the list of telephony lines for IVM to use. Click ok when done, and go back to the main IVM window

Ensure that IVM is set to "Off" mode. This will stop IVM from answering incoming calls (to do this, click the large "On" button)

Now click the OGM button, and add a new OGM. Give it a name of your choosing. Click the change message audio button and select your own recording (or synthesize text) to play on outgoing calls.

When done, click ok and close the OGM window.

Now click the Outbound button and set "OGM to start with if answered by a person" and "OGM to start with if answered by a machine" to the OGM you just created. You can also adjust the number of attempts if you wish (this will make it so it calls you repeatedly over a period of time until you answer). Click OK to exit back to the main window.

Just to be safe, I would set the "Default Answering OGM" to your new OGM to make sure when the call is made to let you know of a network failure that it reads the correct message.

Now all you have to do is have your network monitoring program execute something like "C:\Program Files\NCH Swift Sound\IVM\IVM.exe -outbound 5551234567 -hide" to call you.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have tried this over and over and all i get is this:

20:24:29 Outbound call 555-1212 not answered

20:30:11 Outbound call 555-1212 not answered

20:41:46 Outbound call 555-1212 not answered

I have tried 2 diffrent modems. and I have tested the modem with hyper terminal and it works fine. Here is the last call log.

00:00 Outbound call [555-1212] dialing complete

00:00 Call disconnected

All i am trying to do is call a cell phone and play a message.

I was hoping this would be much easier.

Any more help?

Mav

Sure.

In settings > telephony, add your voice modem device to the list of telephony lines for IVM to use. Click ok when done, and go back to the main IVM window

Ensure that IVM is set to "Off" mode. This will stop IVM from answering incoming calls (to do this, click the large "On" button)

Now click the OGM button, and add a new OGM. Give it a name of your choosing. Click the change message audio button and select your own recording (or synthesize text) to play on outgoing calls.

When done, click ok and close the OGM window.

Now click the Outbound button and set "OGM to start with if answered by a person" and "OGM to start with if answered by a machine" to the OGM you just created. You can also adjust the number of attempts if you wish (this will make it so it calls you repeatedly over a period of time until you answer). Click OK to exit back to the main window.

Just to be safe, I would set the "Default Answering OGM" to your new OGM to make sure when the call is made to let you know of a network failure that it reads the correct message.

Now all you have to do is have your network monitoring program execute something like "C:\Program Files\NCH Swift Sound\IVM\IVM.exe -outbound 5551234567 -hide" to call you.

Usually IVM should be able to detect the phone answering automatically without any problem. However occasionally you may need to alter the Outbound -> Settings - > Software based answer detection settings for some phone systems. I can't really give a definitive answer on what the settings should be, this is really depends, so all I can suggest is playing around with the numbers a bit to see if you can get anywhere. If not, you can try the Hardware option and see if that works any better.

Tried a 1000 diffrent settings.....same results...nothing////

Usually IVM should be able to detect the phone answering automatically without any problem. However occasionally you may need to alter the Outbound -> Settings - > Software based answer detection settings for some phone systems. I can't really give a definitive answer on what the settings should be, this is really depends, so all I can suggest is playing around with the numbers a bit to see if you can get anywhere. If not, you can try the Hardware option and see if that works any better.