unable to play .wav files/experienced ES user/ES still working on desktop computer

andreafbe

Hi,

I am now unable to play .wav files on my laptop (it was working at one point but I can't say specifically when it stopped working) . I am using ES on my desktop with no problem (same software as the laptop except I am running XP Pro on the laptop and XP Home on the desktop). I see that others are having similar problems it seems within the last few months and I cannot find a solution, so I need some direction. I am running XP right now as well as McAfee virus protection. Once I realized I was having a problem I did a variety of things. Since it said I was missing an audio codec I searched the web for the error message I got as well as the codec name with no luck. I tried to play the files in Windows Media so it could auto download the correct codec and that did not work. I updated everything I could think of for Windows and I am using Windows Media 10. I made sure that .wav was checked under files types and then checked all file types. I took it into a computer shop where they installed a big codec pack and that did not work. I have uninstalled and reinstalled ES several times and now have tried rolling back to older versions (both 4.05 and 4.14). I was e-mailed an attachment from my employer that was supposed to be a fix and that did not work. I even turned off McAfee when I downloaded files and/or ES in case that was preventing anything from downloading completely. I also updated all of my audio drivers. I am now at a loss of what to do. Can someone please offer some other suggestions of something to try?

The codec I am supposedly missing is Dialogic OKI ADPCM.

Many thanks,

Andrea

• 4 weeks later...