Is the audio removed from imported MP4s?

SOTASTAR

I have a music video I am trying to make, but I want the audio from snippets of the trailer for the cheesy sci-fi flick "Lifeforce" to play over the weird theremin the song begins with. But there doesn't seem to be an option to do this. On another program, the MP4s come fully intact. I used huge chunks of a Tex Avery cartoon for another video but unmuted one small part.

Does videopad only import the video of an mp4 and not the audio?

Both audio and video are imported from mp4 clips.  Audio on different tracks will mix, and the volume of each track or clip can be adjusted in several ways.

Verify that the slider for the audio track (at the left) image.png is fully to the right, and that the track or clip aren't muted.

Right-click the speaker icon the right-bottom of the Windows desktop and choose Volume Mixer. The VP volume slider should be maximum gain.

If still no sound or waveform on Mp4 clips, please share one or two.  Follow these easy steps...

Upload the file/s to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, right-click the link and Share.  Copy the result and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.  When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view.

The video clip I downloaded didn't have the audio. I used a different YouTube downloader and then it worked fine. One issue that's driving me nuts is a GIF file - which plays as a GIF in MS photo, is getting imported as an image file. In other words, the animation is gone. Which hasn't happened with the other 50 or so gifs I have used.

(Of course the solution would be to find that episode of Buck Rogers and splice it up, but I'm not sure which episode it is)

I actually just converted all the gifs that don't animate to AVIs. That was an easy fix.

NOW I'd like to figure out how to glue back together a track that got all spliced up because I forgot to lock it.

Remember, you can always go back step-by-step with <ctrl-Z> (UNDO).

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the caret to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.  That's your protection.

Upload and share a gif that doesn't animate in VP.