Compressor "Limit" setting

nzot

Can someone explain the "Limit" setting in the compressor? With all other compressors I've used, "Limit" would be a negative value with a max of 0dbfs, and you'd set it to say, -1db, to make sure nothing causes clipping after you've applied all your effects. But here, no negative value is allowed, and it starts at 0. Why?

image.png

Compressor

The Compressor reduces the volume of any sound which exceeds its "Threshold" setting. When a signal exceeds the threshold, the compressor gradually attenuates the sound to bring it down below the dB level, and does it in such a way that the listener will not be aware the attenuation is occurring.

The "Ratio" setting defines the ratio of the reduction in volume of sounds which exceed the compressor threshold. For example, if the ratio is 4:1 and the volume exceeds the threshold by 4dB, then the volume will be reduced to only exceed the threshold by 1dB. Note that a ratio of 1:1 means that there will be no change in volume; it effectively turns the compressor off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckbtIkKGyP0       for advanced settings via Wavepad.

Already read the help and see nothing addressing the Limit field in Videopad (at least v13.66, which I'm using). The one in the Wavepad video you linked shows what I would expect--a limit maximum of 0db and the option to set a limit to a negative value below that. The positive value of 2dB shown in the screenshot of the above reply doesn't make any sense from the standpoint of a traditional compressor/limiter.

• 4 weeks later...

Check out this 64-bit release.

For one-time licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee is required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.  If there's an issue, you can always revert.