Express Scribe Settings Tab

flaming fingers

Hi; I just installed Express Scribe and it's working very well for me. I am a medical transcriptionist and have just started a new job that requires ES. I'm having trouble figuring out what %'s to use. There are so many variables. Can someone suggest what those should be set at for variable speed slow and fast as well as rewind and fast forward mode, ('m using constant speed) rewind step and forward step % and speed %. Right now ES is making it difficult for me to stop and then relisten to the dictation. Thanks.

I'm having trouble figuring out what %'s to use. There are so many variables. Can someone suggest what those should be set at for variable speed slow and fast as well as rewind and fast forward mode, ('m using constant speed) rewind step and forward step % and speed %. Right now ES is making it difficult for me to stop and then relisten to the dictation. Thanks.

I have Variable Speed set to Slow 75%, Fast 125%.

To stop and relisten, set your Auto-Backstep on Stop to something between 1000 and 5000 ms (ie. between 1 and 5 seconds). I have mine set to 2000 ms.

In the Rewind and Fast-Forward box, I have Constant Speed

Rewind Step (ms) 400 Speed (%) 400 (but can go as high as 800%)

Forward Step (ms) 400 Speed (%) 400

Have a go at these and see how you go. If you want more Backstep on Stop, just increase to 2500 or 3000 ms (2.5 or 3 seconds) and test it to see what you prefer.

You may also want to increase the Rewind and Fast Forward settings, or change to Increasing Speed. It's mostly personal preference.