IVM not recognising fax tone

minskin

Hello,

am I right in thinking that IVM automatically detects a fax tone and can deal with it one of 2 ways, TAPI fax handoff or a dial sequence? This was my understanding from the help files and I would like IVM to transfer the call to another extension when it detects the tone but it doesn't seem to be working.

I have a Panasonic PBX with a Hayes modem on extension 1. I already have a mailbox set up in IVM on extension 1 that transfers a call to extension 2 should the caller press 0 and it works perfectly. Extension 2 is where the fax machine is and the fax machine answers automatically if rung. This tells me my hook flash and number to dial settings are correct, does it not?

In "line properties" of my modem I have "Dial this number" selected with !, 205 (ext 2) as the number to dial. However, when the incoming call is a fax, IVM answers the call as if it were a normal voice call, it does not recognise the fax tone although I can hear it beeping. IVM just plays the greeting and records the tones of the fax as if it were a voice message.

The log reads as follows:

15:41:33 Answering mode turned On

15:41:39 Hayes External V92 Voice Faxmodem Unknown [Answered]

15:41:40 Answered line [1 "Hayes External V92 Voice Faxmodem"] call number [32] cid [unknown] did[] drn[1 (5547ms)]

15:41:40 Play file: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NCH Swift Sound\IVM\OGMs\Default Answering Message.wav

15:41:56 Command - Leave Message

15:41:56 Leave Message for Mailbox: Default

15:41:56 Play system prompt: RecordTone

15:41:57 Recording File: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NCH Swift Sound\IVM\MailBoxes\Default ICM000021.wav

15:42:26 Call disconnected

Am I missing something obvious here? :blink:

Ta, Minskin

It's likely that your modem isn't recognising the call as a fax. IVM relies on this information to determine if the call is indeed a fax, and if it doesn't receive a confirmation it will assume the call is voice.

Hi and thanks for the reply.

That's very likely as I have the same problem with IVM not getting Caller ID info. From what I have read (and been immensley confused by) I might need to send additional AT commands to the modem for fax tone recognition and caller id information to be sent to IVM. If so, I understand that I need to enter an initialization string containing the AT commands but where do I enter it? In the modem properties via the control panel or in IVM and if it's IVM where?

I've already tried entering the Caller ID AT command (AT+VCID=1) in the advanced settings of the modems properties via control panel but IVM still didn't display the caller information. I do have caller id with my phone provider and although I have a PBX I have the modem plugged into the main incoming line not a PBX extension.

I'm so confused and it's driving me mad all this, I hope you can help.

Thanks, Minskin