Use SIP Phone with Skype

tenacity9

I am new to Uplink software and have a working, but limited, knowledge of SIP phones. I would love to be able to use Uplink software for a limited purpose, and am not sure how to do it and if it can be done.

I have an existing SIP phone which I would like to use to make and receive Skype calls without using my USB headset. I do not have an existing SIP provider. (The SIP phone is just sitting idle since I gave up my SIP service a few months ago) In other words, I just want to use the SIP phone hardware locally within my computer to crossconnect the SIP phone with Skype to make and receive Skype calls (Skype Out and calls to other Skype users) without the nuisance of a USB headset.

My understanding is that Uplink software can be used to do this. It is unclear from Uplink documentation and other resources how this is done. Could a member of this forum kindly post step-by-step instructions or URL reference to where I could find such step-by-step for this specific task I'd like to accomplish.

Also, since the SIP phone obviously only has a numeric keypad, if you want to make a Skype call to a Skype user who only has a Skype name and not a numerical number, how do you initiate the call to the Skype member by entering his Skype name (where is it entered?) and then immediately start talking to him over the SIP phone when he answers the call?

Thanks for any and all assistance.

What you want can be accomplished with Uplink.

I don't have time to write up instructions, but basically this how it all works together:

Materials:

- SIP Phone

- NCH Uplink Software

- NCH Axon Software (Free)

Set-up:

- Install Axon and Uplink

- Setup Uplink to connect to Skype (through the options/settings)

- Setup Uplink to connect to Axon (as per instructions in Uplink)

- Create extension in Axon (e.g. user: sipphone pass: phonesrus)

- Setup your SIP phone to register with SIP account (extension) you created in Axon (sipphone).

Now you're pretty much set..

for dialling, you can setup dialing plans in Axon that will route digit calls to skype names.. basically like a speed dial thing, so that for example if you dial 501 it calls "turtleman" on your Skypelist.

• 2 years later...

What you want can be accomplished with Uplink.

I don't have time to write up instructions, but basically this how it all works together:

Materials:

- SIP Phone

- NCH Uplink Software

- NCH Axon Software (Free)

Set-up:

- Install Axon and Uplink

- Setup Uplink to connect to Skype (through the options/settings)

- Setup Uplink to connect to Axon (as per instructions in Uplink)

- Create extension in Axon (e.g. user: sipphone pass: phonesrus)

- Setup your SIP phone to register with SIP account (extension) you created in Axon (sipphone).

Now you're pretty much set..

for dialling, you can setup dialing plans in Axon that will route digit calls to skype names.. basically like a speed dial thing, so that for example if you dial 501 it calls "turtleman" on your Skypelist.

I realise it's a long time since Global99's original post, but I have exactly the same situation and similar limited technical knoweldge. I am running Windows Home XP and have a Grandstream Budgetone SIP phone that has been lying around doing nothing since I gave up using Sip-to-Sip for Skype. I would love to be able to use it for Skype instead of headphones.

I understand pythonpoole's basic guidelines and have installed the various software components, namely Axon, Uplink and IVM. The setup is not working, although it is probably quite close. I fear I have omitted something crucial, but possibly quite simple in the configurations somewhere. I am also unclear whether I need a SIP account with a Sip Service provider, even if I do not need to make Sip-to-Sip calls. I only want to be able to communicate through Skype from the SiP phone.

If anyone can help, I can provide a screen copy of the log.

Kind regards

• 3 months later...

hi

There is a new adapter - Rylwy , that connect your landlind and cell phone to skype free.

with rylwy your incomming calls from your own landline and own cell phone , will be free whrever you are,

while using your own landline wherever you are will cost you the local charges of your own landline.

Daniel