Odd behavior after 1 hour of recording

Jonathan Wexler

So my problem is that Debut (v10.0 non-commercial use) seems to gag around the 1 hour mark when screen-capturing mp4 playback - you may logically ask "why in heaven's are you doing AV capture instead of MP4 editing?" but there is a lot of context/experiments - see below.

And just for some clarity on Debut symptoms -

1) "gag" means that around the 1hour mark, the top 40% of the capture is black, the bottom 40% is black and the middle 20% just looks like static
2) it is not the software playing back the mp4 (VLC in my case), as the desktop displays smoothly while being captured throughout all 6 hours of the mp4.  
3) the "gag" occurs with "area" set to either "active window" or "whole desktop"
4) using Windows 10
5) happens on all the long .mp4 input files I tried

I promised you context - lucky you:

Around 25 years ago, I transferred (probably using a video capture card) camcorder tapes of my children to a computer and then to DVDs.  

The DVDs range from around 2 hours to 6 hours in length. It now appears to me that the DVDs have many "chapters", but that the "titles"
information is missing/defective. And I believe that the bad titles are the cause of the following behavior:

I ripped the DVDs to .mp4 files using VLC.  Some of these are 4GB and 6 hours in length (comparatively low-res,so 4GB strikes me as plausible for 6 hours of video).  These can be played in their entirety on a Windows PC with Media Player (the Microsoft one) or VLC. For what it is worth "Windows Media Player" (once again Microsoft authorship) plays the video but not audio.  

And the VLC rips look - to many pieces of software - like a 2 hour and 10 minute title with nothing else. Here "many pieces of software" include:
stock Android cell phone video players
iphone
Sony Bravia Smart TV
Windows ClipChamp
ffmpeg
VLC - in "edit" mode
MakeMFV - in "manual mode"
MP4Tools

I tried ripping a DVD using Handbrake, but it thinks there is only one title with 6 chapters, and that title is 2 hours 10 minutes
in length.  

I transferred the DVD to an ISO file using "imgburn" (Win7 era), but I got the same result from Handbrake using the ISO.  The Wondershare ISO converter software fell into the same trap.  And - for what it is worth - the ISO contains a VIDEO_TS folder
has 5 .VOB files, aggregating around 4GB.  So far so good.  But when I look at the metadata for the .VOB files, the lengths
just aggregate the 2:10 hours.

and - again for what its worth - a Playstation 4 doesn't like any of the .mp4 files I have created.

You read this far - I AM PROUD OF YOU.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

Hi, just to be clear, the issue happens exactly after 1 hour of recording? When you playback the resultant Mp4 file, all is good the first hour? Have you try to capture using a different output format? Can you try Avi, Wmv or Mov?

Call that a false alarm.  I think the issue is in the input file. 

I while I do not know the exact parameters of the issue, it is now easy to imagine.

For the record:

I used VLC to rip the DVDs and - for the one in question - it produced a 4GB 6 hour .mp4 file.  6 hour and 4GB are consistent for resolution a 1990s camcorder was capable of.  I replayed the DVD and there is only 2 hours of video!!!  Looking at the .mp4 file, those 2hrs appear 3 times (one after the other).  So I am assuming there are many oddball pieces of data in the .mp4 file ... this could explain the issue Debut had ... along with issues encountered by Handbrake, android phone, iphone, MakeMKV, MP4Tools, ffmpeg, Media Player, Windows Media Player, smart TV, PS4, and ClipChamp.

Thanks for the response

Jonathan