Size of loaded files

josephinemb

I'm having some problems in that every time I load a file I start running out of hard drive space. For example a 17 MB file is taking up 220 MB on my hard drive once it's loaded. I'm not sure if this is normal and I'm wondering if there is something I can do to fix it. I've got a couple of gig on my hard drive left but as soon as I load a few audio files, it's full until they're deleted.

Express Scribe decompressed the audio files to load them, which is where your hard drive space is going. If hard drive space is a critical issue for you then I suggest that you only load a couple of files at a time, and then once you are finished with them you delete them from the 'done' folder of Express Scribe.

It's also wise to make sure you clean up, when you're done with a file. You can keep the original on your hdd or archive it on a flash drive, if you like. I would strongly recommend either using "done" when you've proofed and sent your work, and keep the file in the "done" folder only 2 days; or, completely delete it by using holding down Ctrl Delete at the same time, which deletes it from the hard drive. If you have a number of files you want to delete from "current," go into c:\documents and settings\[username]\application data\nch swift sound\scribe\current. The make the view "details" and if necessary, on the toolbar at the top, click View, Choose Details, and select Date Created or Date Modified. Since the files are unnamed in "Current" the dates and times will tell you which folder is which. But once there, you can delete multiple files from that folder.

You might also try resetting your System Restore, as I described in another thread.