Orchestra Arrangement with Crescendo Music Notation Editor

Susan Su

I wrote several songs with Crescendo Music Notation Editor, and it works well. Now I need to make orchestra arrangement for these songs. Does anybody compose/arrange orchestra with Crescendo? Can Crescendo handle the score of an orchestra or I need Ableton? ( I was told). Anyone can give any advice or share your experience of orchestra with Crescendo?    

It works relatively well, but the big problem with Crescendo is that it has a limit of instruments available for VST use. In other words, depending on how large the orchestra is, there will be no sound reproduction in the notation in the last tracks. Up to 15 tracks the software responds well, however, after the 16th, no more sound is played (but at least we can write without problem).

I really hope they improve this in the next updates... for me it would be perfect if 30 tracks sounded without problems.

Thanks for you answer. I orchestral one of my songs recently with Crenscedo. You are right-- "Up to 15 tracks the software responds well" ( it hard to put more instruments, the 16th, without hear the effect of how they sound) -- I found that too, so I put multiple instruments in one staff (track). e.g. Violin 1 & 2 in one Staff--you know kind of like the chords--- so can play more than 15 instruments. But you are right,  can still only play 15 instrument types/tracks ( violin 1 & 2 consider on type --violin) after all... 

What is your opinion on production and orchestration of songs-- Do you think Crescendo is enough, or I need to go to Ableton. I am really comfortable of writing songs note by note--  I did like this all the time for many yrs, but  nowadays, composer software, such as Ableton,  all work with timeline, and pitches in height ( you know, a keyboard vertical displayed the notes)...Shall I switch to Ableton, or stay with Crescendo?  

Also Do U know how to adjust the volume of each instrument in Crescendo? My melody instrument "English Horn" is now adjusted to be subtle when I output MIDI, but I do not know how it been done, it became like that by itself, -- so I know it can be done-- I can adjust all the rest volume to arrange dynamic , you know if I know how to do each instrument's volume... 

Well, about music production: a notation software is definitely not the best option for this purpose. I mean, if the goal is to really achieve sound quality, it's better to forget about Crescendo (or any other notation software).

I'm a film composer, so I work mostly with DAWs (like Ableton, but I use Reaper and Cubase); but on the other hand, I studied classical orchestration and arrangement in a traditional way. So I also use Crescendo to write my songs. However, I use Crescendo more for studying and note-taking purposes than for recording. Otherwise, I don't really care much about the Crescendo's sound, or the volume, for example (unfortunately I can't help you with this because I don't even know how to do it!).

But anyway, if you're looking to improve sound quality, it's a MUCH better idea to opt for Ableton. However, it is important to say that this involves mixing knowledge. Ableton won't sound better than Crescendo if you don't know how to mix!

I am trying Ableton 11 trial version (with all Live 11 features), you are right, Ableton style software is for music/song production (for a recoding),but not really for composition--maybe work for cinematic composition --but it is difficult, or not for song writing-- it seems difficult to handle 8th notes ( or 16th note/beats rhythm), nor lyrics, you can never align lyrics/words with your music/melody in Ableton. One more-- Ableton seem only output/export MIDI and audio files, can not generate any sheet music at all, am I right(or I did not find the function button?). After evaluation Ableton so far, I think I need to stay with Crescendo for my song writing and orchestral arrangements.    

There is no way to insert an image of a PDF page here, is there?  Too bad because while I do not write complex stuff, I am interested to see what you mean.

regarding "not complex stuff" Google

"Robert Lang Youtube Out from the Night" https://youtu.be/C5srqVEVrRw?list=PLdGWn-wHbob_U5LknGPZG-VuWWM_e19O6

"Robert Lang Youtube Christmases of the World" https://youtu.be/TeChpHLhoWQ?si=icf1SV5mu-i_Hwaz

Lucas Spolzino-- wow, you are a cinematic music composer, songwriter and also an producer/orchestrater-- so many talents in you, I'd like to get connected to share, I am into all of these areas too...--Susan

On 12/25/2023 at 11:52 AM, Lucas Spolzino said:

Well, about music production: a notation software is definitely not the best option for this purpose. I mean, if the goal is to really achieve sound quality, it's better to forget about Crescendo (or any other notation software).

I'm a film composer, so I work mostly with DAWs (like Ableton, but I use Reaper and Cubase); but on the other hand, I studied classical orchestration and arrangement in a traditional way. So I also use Crescendo to write my songs. However, I use Crescendo more for studying and note-taking purposes than for recording. Otherwise, I don't really care much about the Crescendo's sound, or the volume, for example (unfortunately I can't help you with this because I don't even know how to do it!).

But anyway, if you're looking to improve sound quality, it's a MUCH better idea to opt for Ableton. However, it is important to say that this involves mixing knowledge. Ableton won't sound better than Crescendo if you don't know how to mix!

On 12/27/2023 at 11:48 AM, Susan Su said:

On 12/31/2023 at 3:34 AM, robertLang said:

There is no way to insert an image of a PDF page here, is there?  Too bad because while I do not write complex stuff, I am interested to see what you mean.

regarding "not complex stuff" Google

"Robert Lang Youtube Out from the Night" https://youtu.be/C5srqVEVrRw?list=PLdGWn-wHbob_U5LknGPZG-VuWWM_e19O6

"Robert Lang Youtube Christmases of the World" https://youtu.be/TeChpHLhoWQ?si=icf1SV5mu-i_Hwaz

"see what you mean" --your mean my opinion of Ableton for production? I mean adding string and drums and wood staff/instruments to the songs...

I check your songs --very impressive, yeah with a guitar you can go with any songs like Taylor Swift and Ed Shereen...