Digital Audio File Beginner

Guest Damon

Guest Damon

Greetings All,

I am just starting to manipulate digital audio files and I have trouble knowing how to begin. I purchased a Plusdeck2 pc audio cassette deck and when I convert the audio tape to an MP3 file, there are two options. I can either convert the tape as one long MP3 file.. or there is another option that will automatically create a new file every time it detects a pause, “supposedly” in between songs so I can save like CD tracks, I guess. The problem with the first option is that when I’m searching for a specific part of the file, it takes forever to fast forward or rewind. Having the files broken up into tracks is essential whether the audio is music or a motivational speaker. The problem with the second option is that the program creates new files in the middle of some songs so it’s inaccurate. I’d rather do it myself.

Can this WavePad software program help me do that? WavePad was actually recommended on the website of the makers of the Plusdeck2 so I thought it would be a good place to start but as a beginner, a lot of the audio editing I’m sure to start getting into will sound foreign and be difficult until I get the hang of it. Can anyone help with this? Is this a very simple request so I sound like a fool?

Thanks

Damon

Guest Damon

Sorry All,

I should have read all the information prior to posting this. I apologize. After reading though, I realize that I have some files larger than 2 hours that I want to break into seperate tracks and I also wanted to try to use "region" to break my file into tracks which does not seem to work with the free version to test it. Thanks

Greetings All,

I am just starting to manipulate digital audio files and I have trouble knowing how to begin.  I purchased a Plusdeck2 pc audio cassette deck and when I convert the audio tape to an MP3 file, there are two options.  I can either convert the tape as one long MP3 file..  or there is another option that will automatically create a new file every time it detects a pause, “supposedly” in between songs so I can save like CD tracks, I guess.  The problem with the first option is that when I’m searching for a specific part of the file, it takes forever to fast forward or rewind.  Having the files broken up into tracks is essential whether the audio is music or a motivational speaker.  The problem with the second option is that the program creates new files in the middle of some songs so it’s inaccurate.  I’d rather do it myself.

Can this WavePad software program help me do that?  WavePad was actually recommended on the website of the makers of the Plusdeck2 so I thought it would be a good place to start but as a beginner, a lot of the audio editing I’m sure to start getting into will sound foreign and be difficult until I get the hang of it.  Can anyone help with this?  Is this a very simple request so I sound like a fool?

Thanks

Damon

If you download the Master's Edition trial, you can use everything in it for 14 days.

We are currently investigating better ways of splitting audio up in situations like the one you described.

Greetings All,

I am just starting to manipulate digital audio files and I have trouble knowing how to begin.  I purchased a Plusdeck2 pc audio cassette deck and when I convert the audio tape to an MP3 file, there are two options.  I can either convert the tape as one long MP3 file..  or there is another option that will automatically create a new file every time it detects a pause, “supposedly” in between songs so I can save like CD tracks, I guess.  The problem with the first option is that when I’m searching for a specific part of the file, it takes forever to fast forward or rewind.  Having the files broken up into tracks is essential whether the audio is music or a motivational speaker.  The problem with the second option is that the program creates new files in the middle of some songs so it’s inaccurate.  I’d rather do it myself.

Can this WavePad software program help me do that?  WavePad was actually recommended on the website of the makers of the Plusdeck2 so I thought it would be a good place to start but as a beginner, a lot of the audio editing I’m sure to start getting into will sound foreign and be difficult until I get the hang of it.  Can anyone help with this?  Is this a very simple request so I sound like a fool?

Thanks

Damon

Hello, YES WAVEPAD can do this track splitting. I have found an easy if not automatic way of performing the function with the free version. (Get it while you can guys & girls..) What you do is save the whole file and name it. Then, you use the commands on the edit menu to TRIM END - which cuts off the tail. Now save the first song with the title you like. Then UNDO, (Which brings back the whole file again) at the same point in time, TRIM START (which removes the now saved first song). Move the cursor to the dead space between the next two songs, and repeat this process till you are done with all the songs in the original file. I can do this in about 30 seconds per song. You may need more or less time depending on how fast you are placing the cursor, and how fast is your computer and hard drive(s). (I am running RAID 1 (stripping) so I just click and go). :D

Sincerely,

Paul Apollonio