Express Talk forgets Line Settings after restart

A.Watermeyer

Hi,

Express Talk unfortunetly forget about the settings made for Line 1...n.

If you uncheck "Use default line settings for this line" and specify for SIP provider for any line, the settings are gone after a restart of Express Talk.

Although I like your software very much, I think this is a showstopper. When do you plan to fix that bug, is a fix version already available ?

Otherwise I need to switch to another softphone (what I dont want to).

Best regards,

Andreas

Hi,

Express Talk unfortunetly forget about the settings made for Line 1...n.

If you uncheck "Use default line settings for this line" and specify for SIP provider for any line, the settings are gone after a restart of Express Talk.

Although I like your software very much, I think this is a showstopper. When do you plan to fix that bug, is a fix version already available ?

Otherwise I need to switch to another softphone (what I dont want to).

Best regards,

Andreas

I have the same problem and still have it on my computer but till its fixed will be leaving alone, spoils it doest it.

Same problem here, just out of curiosity has anyone tried inserting the settings into the registry keys for the line1...n info to see if it sticks from that direction, or does the program wipe those at startup too?

I'll have to try it and see- I may drop back to 2.02 and try that as well.

-Bob

P.S. another thought- what if you leave the default blank and enter settings for the numbered lines only? worth a try...

Same problem here, just out of curiosity has anyone tried inserting the settings into the registry keys for the line1...n info to see if it sticks from that direction, or does the program wipe those at startup too?

I'll have to try it and see- I may drop back to 2.02 and try that as well.

-Bob

P.S. another thought- what if you leave the default blank and enter settings for the numbered lines only? worth a try...

I tried leaving default blank doesnt work, just picks another one, think you have to pay to get it to work.

At the moment the answer to

has anyone tried inserting the settings into the registry keys for the line1...n info to see if it sticks from that direction
is Yes, I have, and no, it don't. In fact all the lines are wiped to the default.

and the answer to

what if you leave the default blank and enter settings for the numbered lines only

is that it applies the default to the lines at program startup in the registry- even if that's a set of blanks.

On the other hand, I did another semi-logical test, which I'm sure somebody can streamline and make easier than the klunky, crude

method I used, and it appears that if one exports line1 through lineX (and defaultline if one wants [i did, a blank one]- and you have to go one line farther than the last filled in under "options" to save into the registry :) ) as individual regedit .reg files from regedit

(or editor-of-taste, I'm a gimp, ok?) and imports them after ET is running, the settings are restored and ET stops saying

it can't find a server at "" (blank default... oops.) and starts logging on the services in the added keys right after.

this workaround help? (I know, a text editor and a couple minutes and it's one file- I just don't recall how to have it imported after a program start- automatically, that is.) Or am I in trouble? :ph34r:

and imports them after ET is running, the settings are restored and ET stops saying

it can't find a server at "" (blank default... oops.) and starts logging on the services in the added keys right after.

should include "after opening the options and pressing ok to get a restart."

solly. I'm an animal.

notes on importing registry values:

if you have 2.02 installed, the passwords for each line are in plain ASCII, and the same type of key as the rest of the line settings.

if you have 2.03 installed, the passwords for each line are in hex, different keytype, so the icon is different.

*IF YOU SWITCH VERSIONS* from 2.03 to 2.02 the registry values in hex (in fact, many regkeys) are *not* removed by the

uninstall program and have to be manually removed or changed if needed. The switch the other way may have the same problem;

*remove* the incorrect keys for ProxyPassword at least for each line or Express Talk will very probably get confused.

Mine did. Badly.

And the proxy servers didn't like it at all.

Still bashing at my IP problems, I have STUN tunneled through the firewall, and I'm now trying to force the port on the STUN

server reply (or how ET interprets it) back to something under 50,000. :) OOk.

Bob the Animal, back to tilting cannon at windmills. :blink:

P.S. Experimentation works better if you leave the "default line" info blank, as it waits to bounce wrong info off the SIP providers

until you re-import the values. Have fun. :huh:

and once I got 2.02 straightened out, it appears that 2.02 will hold the line settings.... even after twice turned off and a cold reboot of the computer. <sigh>

so it's a bug in 2.03, probably a side effect of the different storage of the password.

Didn't I see a thread about wanting a more secure password storage than plaintext in the registry?

for shame.

Don't y'all know no good deed goes unpunished? Murphy is L.His.A.O.R.O.T.F.L. at all of us.

[like, I have those passwords on my personal box (I'm disabled, no company IT, just me) in at least 3 text files while I'm attempting to get reliable voip- do I care? If it works, I won't fix it. Hmmm. Ok, sometimes I get fooled.]