Converting mp3 to wav

kimmy

Before I download WavePad, I was hoping someone could tell me if it will convert mp3's from a CD into a wav and/or wma file?

================================================================================

=

You are asking the wrong question!

Any MP3 file has lost some of the information that was present in the .wav file before it was compressed. This lost information _cannot_ be recovered, even though you might be able to perform some operation upon it which _appears_ to be a restoration back to the original .wav file. In other words, converting an MP3 file to a .wav file will not, repeat NOT, give you as good a sound as you got from that original wave file. In fact, it might be a downright cruddy sound.

So the question that you should be asking yourself is: "Do I really want to convert an MP3 file to a .wav file?" The only real justification for doing this is to be able to listen to the MP3 file on a CD player which cannot play MP3 files. In order to do this, you may need to convert from an MP3 file to a .wav file. But this is a compromise at best.

In addition, simply _forget about_ converting an MP3 file to a .wma file. You are guaranteed to get a crappy result, even if you find software that claims to be able to do this.

In any case, why not download the "free" version of WavePad and see what you can do? Just keep in mind that this "free" version is a crippled DEMO (trial version), which is lacking certain features that most users would consider to be "essential," rather than merely "nice."

Guest nchto
Just keep in mind that this "free" version is a crippled DEMO (trial version), which is lacking certain features that most users would consider to be "essential," rather than merely "nice."

With the free version you also get all the features of the Masters Edition for 14-days.