Unable to load audio files in new Scribe version

bex

I just downloaded the newest version of the Express Scribe Transcription Player today but it's loading audio files so slow. It's also slowing down my system everytime I try loading audio files. My operating system is Windows XP sp2. I am able to use the old version quite easily before and can load files without problems. Can anyone tell me what should be done? thanks.

I just downloaded the newest version of the Express Scribe Transcription Player today but it's loading audio files so slow. It's also slowing down my system everytime I try loading audio files. My operating system is Windows XP sp2. I am able to use the old version quite easily before and can load files without problems. Can anyone tell me what should be done? thanks.

What files are you having problems with? Did you see my post, with pvr reply on problems with the new version loading Sony files? Gosh--I hope there aren't more problems!

In the short term, if the problem is with Sony's msv/dvf formats, I suggest downloading NCH's unlicensed version of Switch and converting the files to wav in there, and then loading into E-scribe. Hope that's some help until the guys get the bug fixed.

• 4 weeks later...
What files are you having problems with? Did you see my post, with pvr reply on problems with the new version loading Sony files? Gosh--I hope there aren't more problems!

In the short term, if the problem is with Sony's msv/dvf formats, I suggest downloading NCH's unlicensed version of Switch and converting the files to wav in there, and then loading into E-scribe. Hope that's some help until the guys get the bug fixed.

I'm loading dvf files. I have the Sony plug-in already but it still won't work! <sigh> Could any of the NCH tech guys do something with this? Anyway, I gave up using the latest version; I'm using v.4.05 as of the moment and it's working just fine.

I'm loading dvf files. I have the Sony plug-in already but it still won't work! <sigh> Could any of the NCH tech guys do something with this? Anyway, I gave up using the latest version; I'm using v.4.05 as of the moment and it's working just fine.

What I found is that although Escribe won't load the dvf/msv files--such a shame for such a good product to fall down this way!--Switch and Wavepad do load them, and Switch Plus will convert them, so the problem can't reside with Sony's plug-in. Wavepad, even the unlicensed version, may also convert them to a low rate pcm, but I haven't played with it much. Good luck.

Very, very frustrating!! PLEASE somebody from NCH FIX this problem. I used to love ExpressScribe so much and this is so very irritating.

I cannot handle attempts at loading dvf files any longer. Conversion always seems to degrade the audio. The old version of ES worked fine. What the heck happened?! Where can I find the old version again?

G. Hoffman

Guest nchto

Can you please outline exactly the problems you are all experiencing? The code for handling these kind of files hasn't changed between releases so it is pretty strange that you are experiencing these results.

Can you please outline exactly the problems you are all experiencing? The code for handling these kind of files hasn't changed between releases so it is pretty strange that you are experiencing these results.

I have ES version 4.10 installed on two computers, both running Windows XP. With both, when I attempt to load either msv or dvf, a file consumes 100% of the CPU, and takes forever to load, shutting out any other use of the PC. In a few of the times I was able to sit it out, it took well over an hour to load a 20 minute file. DVF might load slightly faster or consume slightly less of the CPU, but it's a distinction without a difference... it makes ES dysfunctional vis a vis the Sony extensions. As I noted in my earlier posts, and as I believe some others may have also noticed, the problem does not occur with the same files with either SwitchPlus or WavePad, so it's not a problem with the plug-in.

I should add that I am not plugging a Sony recorder into my computer, but downloaded and saved the files to my HDD, as I do with all files, regardless, and then load into ES.

Clearly one reason users are so terribly frustrated is that earlier versions of ES slipped msf/dvf files in like a hand in a glove. This time last year, I was able to load msv files of up to several hours, with no problem.

I do very much hope this can be fixed soon. I've been using ES now for at least 5 years.

Guest nchto
I have ES version 4.10 installed on two computers, both running Windows XP. With both, when I attempt to load either msv or dvf, a file consumes 100% of the CPU, and takes forever to load, shutting out any other use of the PC. In a few of the times I was able to sit it out, it took well over an hour to load a 20 minute file. DVF might load slightly faster or consume slightly less of the CPU, but it's a distinction without a difference... it makes ES dysfunctional vis a vis the Sony extensions. As I noted in my earlier posts, and as I believe some others may have also noticed, the problem does not occur with the same files with either SwitchPlus or WavePad, so it's not a problem with the plug-in.

Thanks for that, we're looking into the problem. Would it be possible to get a sample file from you for which this occurs? Simply send it to <snip>.

I should add that I am not plugging a Sony recorder into my computer, but downloaded and saved the files to my HDD, as I do with all files, regardless, and then load into ES.

Clearly one reason users are so terribly frustrated is that earlier versions of ES slipped msf/dvf files in like a hand in a glove. This time last year, I was able to load msv files of up to several hours, with no problem.

I do very much hope this can be fixed soon. I've been using ES now for at least 5 years.

Exact same problem here but I am using ES Version 4.09 (previous version was just fine). It loads most every audio file without difficulty, but every single DVF file I try to load requires 100% of my system resources and takes a very, very long time to load. I am also using XP (home); also have no trouble with DVF files using WavePad or Switch.

Hope there is a simple fix!!

Thank you for really wonderful a/v support.

I am having the same problem with ES 4.10 and 4.08 with .msv files. I'm a medical transcriptionist and these creates a huge problem when it takes 15 minutes to upload a 2 minute file.

I've downloaded switch which was a great opportunity and great little worker program and now my trial has expired and I do not wish to purchase this for just a short period of time if the tech's are going to fix this.

Gr8tiepyst

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nchto

Express Scribe 4.11 has just been released and will be on the site in the next day or so. Please let us know if you have any troubles with this as everything worked fine for us with the sample you sent in.

Express Scribe 4.11 has just been released and will be on the site in the next day or so. Please let us know if you have any troubles with this as everything worked fine for us with the sample you sent in.

Can you give us any idea of a time frame? The next day or so implies shortly but here it is the 14th of April and nothing new is ready to be downloaded.

Gr8Tiepyst

• 2 weeks later...
It's all there ready to go, it may just take some time for the site to update itself.

Two weeks have now passed - any further update on this?

I am getting to the point where I dread receiving work from my client who uses the Sony format because I spend half a day loading into Express Scribe :( :( :(.

Many thanks

Lynn Cox

Cox Virtual Office Solutions

Two weeks have now passed - any further update on this?

I am getting to the point where I dread receiving work from my client who uses the Sony format because I spend half a day loading into Express Scribe :(:(:( .

Many thanks

Lynn Cox

Cox Virtual Office Solutions

Not to worry: If you have Sony's Memory Stick Voice Editor--which you need if you're docking from the voice stick, you can reliably convert it to mp3 or wav and load to Escribe. If you don't, download NCH's Switch Plus trial, and convert to mp3 or wav (better use wav), and load to Escribe. I've already used both and prefer Sony's program, but Switch will do in a pinch. NCH says it has completed the new version, but it takes two weeks to get it on the website! That was supposed to be yesterday, if you've been following this threat.

Good luck, KRN

Not to worry: If you have Sony's Memory Stick Voice Editor--which you need if you're docking from the voice stick, you can reliably convert it to mp3 or wav and load to Escribe. If you don't, download NCH's Switch Plus trial, and convert to mp3 or wav (better use wav), and load to Escribe. I've already used both and prefer Sony's program, but Switch will do in a pinch. NCH says it has completed the new version, but it takes two weeks to get it on the website! That was supposed to be yesterday, if you've been following this threat.

Good luck, KRN

Thanks for your reply. The Sony files I am trying to load are from a client and I do not have the voice stick you refer to.

I have just lost more than 3 hours working time attempting to load a 2MB file. After more than 3 hours it was not even 40% complete - the load was therefore going to need more than another 3 hours, resulting in the equivalent of ONE DAY to load one file, which is totally unacceptable.

My solution: uninstall the latest version and revert to an earlier one. Success - it look less than a minute to load the same 2MB file. Until the latest version of the software is reliable for Sony files I'm sticking with version 4.02.

Thanks for your reply. The Sony files I am trying to load are from a client and I do not have the voice stick you refer to.

I have just lost more than 3 hours working time attempting to load a 2MB file. After more than 3 hours it was not even 40% complete - the load was therefore going to need more than another 3 hours, resulting in the equivalent of ONE DAY to load one file, which is totally unacceptable.

My solution: uninstall the latest version and revert to an earlier one. Success - it look less than a minute to load the same 2MB file. Until the latest version of the software is reliable for Sony files I'm sticking with version 4.02.

You were smart enough to save the previous version. Sigh. I'm using Switch Plus to convert Sony files... which was the proof that the problem lay in ES, not Sony's plug-in... but it's nowhere satisfactory for more than short term. Thanks, and good luck.

Guest nchto

I've been informed by the developers that they're still looking into this issue. It's due to a change in how we decode files (which now allows more file types to be decoded), but obviously there is some loading speed issues now associated with this. Reports from other users only show only a 20% speed reduction at most (in the rare cases), and nowhere near the day vs 1 minute problem coxvos was experiencing.

I've been informed by the developers that they're still looking into this issue. It's due to a change in how we decode files (which now allows more file types to be decoded), but obviously there is some loading speed issues now associated with this. Reports from other users only show only a 20% speed reduction at most (in the rare cases), and nowhere near the day vs 1 minute problem coxvos was experiencing.

All your client reports, including my experience with the test file I sent you do comport with coxvos' experience. That was a 20 minute file, less than 1 MB, which took over an hour to load in ES, but no noticeable slowdown loading to Switch or Wavepad. (OS is XP, not Vista.) That was 6 weeks ago, and the release itself was Feb.

Mercifully, later today I found an earlier version (4.05) on www.download.com, and it slipped the msv/dvf files in--the same test file I sent you--like a hand in a glove. Then even later, I decided to try the new version again, only to find I had downloaded the new, new v4.11. Sad to say, however, the 20-minute, < 1 mb test file started loading over an hour ago, and hasnt' finished yet. In the meantime, it is using 100% of my memory. "Mission not accomplished."--krn

BTW: I found that Sony has an updated plug-in for WMP. It hasn't seemed to help with the msv/dvf problems with ES 4.11, but I'm all for upgrades (as long as they're not betas). Here's the url to find it, which also includes the upgrades for Sony's digital recorder voice editor and/or voice player. http://www.sonydigital-link.com/DNA/downlo...D&f=PPI1210

If you have a lot of Sony files, you may do well to go ahead and purchase their transcribing software, which includes the editor/player. It can be used, in a pinch for transcribing, but mostly it's the best way to convert their files to mp3 or wav, which can be used in ol' Scribe. --krn

Very, very frustrating!! PLEASE somebody from NCH FIX this problem. I used to love ExpressScribe so much and this is so very irritating.

I cannot handle attempts at loading dvf files any longer. Conversion always seems to degrade the audio. The old version of ES worked fine. What the heck happened?! Where can I find the old version again?

G. Hoffman

I have the very same problem. Downloaded the new version tonight and it really has messed things up because it downloaded over my old setup file (I was on the phone and not paying attention as I should have) and now I'm going to have to dig around and hope I have a copy of the old set-up file on my laptop. This is a mess. I'm in the middle of a move and suddenly swamped with rush legal work and it's just tying up everything. I too have the Sony Plug-in and am accepting recorded files via the internet. Never had a problem before. I can't go through all this stuff with conversion to Switch, etc. I receive far too many files daily to go through all this. I hope they fix it because it really is frustrating.

These files are far to large to send as .WAV files. And getting my clients to do anything beyond zipping them is unrealistic since I've had to talk all of them through the digital set-ups to begin with. I have to wonder why they would release a program which obviously has pitfalls without either warning folks first or fixing the problem. Sorry if I sound irritable, but I've been up 23 hours and have another couple to go and this did not add any fun to my day. I love this program, but if I can't return to the old version, I'll have to leave it behind and use something else.

Glad I signed on and at least checked it out here. I was beginning to think it was something involving my computer!

K. Eckerle

Cardinal Point Virtual Assistants

I have the very same problem. Downloaded the new version tonight and it really has messed things up because it downloaded over my old setup file (I was on the phone and not paying attention as I should have) and now I'm going to have to dig around and hope I have a copy of the old set-up file on my laptop. This is a mess. I'm in the middle of a move and suddenly swamped with rush legal work and it's just tying up everything. I too have the Sony Plug-in and am accepting recorded files via the internet. Never had a problem before. I can't go through all this stuff with conversion to Switch, etc. I receive far too many files daily to go through all this. I hope they fix it because it really is frustrating.

These files are far to large to send as .WAV files. And getting my clients to do anything beyond zipping them is unrealistic since I've had to talk all of them through the digital set-ups to begin with. I have to wonder why they would release a program which obviously has pitfalls without either warning folks first or fixing the problem. Sorry if I sound irritable, but I've been up 23 hours and have another couple to go and this did not add any fun to my day. I love this program, but if I can't return to the old version, I'll have to leave it behind and use something else.

Glad I signed on and at least checked it out here. I was beginning to think it was something involving my computer!

K. Eckerle

Cardinal Point Virtual Assistants

I found a zip file of ES v4.05 from October 2006 at www.download.com. Search for it under "Express Scribe" not ExpressScribe." The url is

http://www.download.com/Express-Scribe/300...tml?tag=lst-0-1

I've been informed by the developers that they're still looking into this issue. It's due to a change in how we decode files (which now allows more file types to be decoded), but obviously there is some loading speed issues now associated with this. Some preliminary tests show only a 20% speed reduction at most, nowhere near the day vs 1 minute problem coxvos was experiencing.

Well I finally found the updated 4.11 version on the website, my Escribe kept telling me I was up to date with 4.10.

Don't bother to download it if you want to upload .msv files to it, it still doesn't work. I use Switch a free program on NCH site. I have to keep uninstalling it and reinstalling it though because it is only good for a short period of time. It would be nice if NCH made that available for a longer period of time while they are still having this issue with .msv files.

Just upload your .msv files into the switch, switch them to .wav files and they upload in a snap just like they used to in the old 4.08 version of ES.