Inserting Silences

shseas

Hello again!

I am trying to insert short silences at the beginning and end of short files which will end up as tracks on a CD. I don't really understand the proper procedure.

Do I need to select the area in which I want to insert each silence (there is a sparate selection under edit for this, I believe)?

Then, when I choose to "insert the silence", a box comes up asking me to choose beginning, current, or end.

What do these choices refer to... the pre selected area)? I have randomly tried each on a "practice" file, and get strange results that I don't really understand!

Is there some short cut way to tack the silence piece on each end?

Sorry for all the questions, but any help will be much appreciated!!!

SHS

Hello again!

I am trying to insert short silences at the beginning and end of short files which will end up as tracks on a CD. I don't really understand the proper procedure.

Do I need to select the area in which I want to insert each silence (there is a sparate selection under edit for this, I believe)?

Then, when I choose to "insert the silence", a box comes up asking me to choose beginning, current, or end.

What do these choices refer to... the pre selected area)? I have randomly tried each on a "practice" file, and get strange results that I don't really understand!

Is there some short cut way to tack the silence piece on each end?

Sorry for all the questions, but any help will be much appreciated!!!

SHS

=============================================================================

No problem. This is really very simple; perhaps you are unable to see the trees for the forest :-)

To insert a (short?) silence at the beginning of the file, first click on the large "start" icon (a vertical bar followed by a < sign). This takes you to the beginning of the file. Then go up to the second line at the top of the editor window, where you will see a short horizontal line icon. When you click on this icon, you will be presented with a small dialogue box that allows you to type in the length of the silence that you want, expressed as a number of milliseconds. As a routine practice, I have personally chosen a value of 1500ms (1.5 seconds), which remains as the future default unless I change it again.

After typing in your chosen length of silence, click on OK and this length of silence will then appear at the beginning of the file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To insert a (short?) silence at the end of the file, click on the large "end" icon (a vertical bar followed by a > sign). This takes you to the end of the file. Then go to the same horizontal line icon, type in the silence length that you want and click OK. This length of silence will then appear at the end of the file; in order to see this silence length at the end of the file, however, you will then have to go to the end of the file. Click on the "end" icon once more and the silence length will then appear.

Any more questions?

Musikone

(cutting through those forests!)