editing music off the internet

razzy0819

:unsure:;) Hi everyone i just got wave pad so I am new to working it. I recorded a song off the internet and was wodering what i have to do to make it song like a song that can be heard clearly in on a cd or is what i am trying to do impossible? Please help!

• 3 weeks later...
:unsure:  ;) Hi everyone  i just got wave pad so I am new to working it.  I recorded a song off the internet and was wodering what i have to do to make it song like a song that can be heard clearly in on a cd or is what i am trying to do impossible? Please help!

papollonio here,

Razzy, I have been using wavepad to record and can tell you that if your sound card and settings are good, then you can make GREAT quality recordings. I am an audio engineer, I should know. Make sure of a few things first off. The signal off the internet radio should be of high quality. 128kilobits per second or better (Real Rhapsody is excellant!). Set wavepad to record at 16bit, 2 channel, 44.1Khz, which is CD quality. Make sure the volume on the internet radio is high. NOT so high that it overloads your sound card, but if it is low, then you will introduce noise. Set the level on wavepad by doing a test recording. The RED zone DOES NOT NECESSARILY COINCIDE with clipping of the sound card. (I have found no way to calibrate it either...) Use the graphic screen after recording. If you can see the top of the waveform without it hitting the top of the screen display, that is great. UNLESS it is far below the top of the screen. Most recordings when you zoom out will appear to have a volume ceiling. Now you can edit this waveform, saving pieces at a time under a file name of the song. With Nero, you can burn these wav files to CD and get great quality. If the level is not high enough, use NERO (if you got it) to NORMALIZE the volume. (There is a checkbox under the add/delete box for this) This way when you play the CD over a portable player, the volume will be sufficient. Listen, I know this is a lot to digest, but read it again a few times over. It makes sense...In Short, YES THIS IS POSSIBLE! YOU CAN DO IT !! :D

You can also use WavePad to normalize the file. And you can use Express Burn to burn the files to CD.

www.nch.com.au/burn

Thanks for helping out Papollonio.

Thanks to Roy and Peter Lupton for some great programs! :D

With Sincere thanks,

Paul Apollonio

PS- It should be mentioned that while Normalization is an invaluable tool today with MP3 players, and low output CD´s running inexpensive headphones, it should also be mentioned that certain albums, like Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, are recorded with vastly different RMS levels from one song to the next. By normalizing all files (read songs) one can pre-empt the intent of the artist to move us musically by changing this level at the pace he or she chooses.