Wav files filling up C: partition

andrewb

Is there any way to change where ES stores the wave files it converts? I have quite a small C: partition, which is used only for programs. All of my documents are stored on another drive, including the "My Documents" folder. This makes backing up very much easier. But ES does not respect these settings as almost all my other programs do. It makes very large .wav files under the C:\documents and settings\me hierarchy. The first I knew of this was when the whole machine ground to a halt because it had run out of space on the C: drive.

So I have one practical question -- if I load .wav files directly into ES, will it make copies of them anyway?

And two suggestions

• The program should honour the Windows "My Documents" setting
    The help should warn that .wma and .mp3 files are converted to (much larger) .wavs before being played back.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there any way to change where ES stores the wave files it converts? I have quite a small C: partition, which is used only for programs. All of my documents are stored on another drive, including the "My Documents" folder. This makes backing up very much easier. But ES does not respect these settings as almost all my other programs do. It makes very large .wav files under the C:\documents and settings\me hierarchy. The first I knew of this was when the whole machine ground to a halt because it had run out of space on the C: drive.

refer to my posting :http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=5445 You can adapt the location in the registry file to reflect a local drive as well.. you will have to duplicate the directory structure on the drive for it to function. I am not sure how it will effect incoming files, but you could manually move the exploded files from (if you are moving to D:) C: to D: I am not sure if that makes sense but I think it does :) If it doesn't respond and I will try to clarify.

So I have one practical question -- if I load .wav files directly into ES, will it make copies of them anyway?

YES. ES, for some reason, will always make a .wav file in its working directory. Only way I could see to avoid this is to place the .wav file in the working folder for scribe and, somehow, manage to change the filename to the next number express scribe is going to assign, although this does not seem to be numerical order.

And two suggestions

The program should honour the Windows "My Documents" setting

The help should warn that .wma and .mp3 files are converted to (much larger) .wavs before being played back.

Here Here! Or better yet, allow me to choose where I want in installed AND where I want the data to be stored.