MP3 files

Guest Mrs. G

Guest Mrs. G

OK - so I have 30 students in the class - using Express Scribe for the first time - spent a fortune on lovely new foot pedals & having our transcription files converted from audio to MP3 files - everything is going fine & then, one by one, the students tell me that the files simply stop - right in the mddle of a line or a paragraph - none of them stop at the same spot. . . . am I missing some simple solution :blink: - please say yes!! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Express Scribe does everything in WAV format. Converting your audio files to MP3 is a wasteful step. Express Scribe will just decompress the files.

That being said, it might be that you are running out of harddrive space. Express Scribe will start a file, but not be able to finish if you don't have enough disk space to decompress the file.

OK  - so I have 30 students in the class - using Express Scribe for the first time - spent a fortune on lovely new foot pedals & having our transcription files converted from audio to MP3 files - everything is going fine & then, one by one, the students tell me that the files simply stop - right in the mddle of a line or a paragraph - none of them stop at the same spot. . . . am I missing some simple solution  :blink: - please say yes!! :(

• 1 month later...
Guest lincoln stoller
OK  - so I have 30 students in the class - using Express Scribe for the first time - spent a fortune on lovely new foot pedals & having our transcription files converted from audio to MP3 files - everything is going fine & then, one by one, the students tell me that the files simply stop - right in the mddle of a line or a paragraph - none of them stop at the same spot. . . . am I missing some simple solution  :blink: - please say yes!! :(

I'm running on a Mac and I had to convert my WAV files to MP3 in order to get ES to recognize them. Then I found that the audo quality was breaking up to inaudibility after about 7 minutes of playback. By quitting and relaunching ES I was able to recover the quality. It seems that there is a memory problem either having to do with playback of a high-quality file, or a converted file. My guess is that on the Mac, anyway, something is either being written to a temporary disk file, or temporary memory space. And then play-back cannot keep up with the rate at which this data needs to be retreived. My suggesting is to have the students quit and relaunch ES and see if their files continue to play at the point where they stopped.