WARNING: Stop hogging my hardrive

dcmusichound

Express Scribe has a hidden function that has caused me a lot of headaches over the past couple of month until I discovered it. Evidently, when you are "Done" with an audio file, Express Scribe keeps it around for a number days afterward. By default this is set to 30 days. Not realizing that when I told the program I was "done" with files, they were still sitting on my harddrive, I have spent months trying to figuring out why I kept running out of hardrive space even though I was diligently cleaning away unused files. I'm a professional reporter and I use Express Scribe quite a bit, but when I finally realized what was going on and deleted all the files in the "Done" folder, it turned out that the program was keeping around more than 20gigs in sound files. If you go into the settings window and go to the "other" tab, you can change the number of days that these files are kept.

Joel

• 1 month later...

You can also manually delete the .wav files in the "c:\documents and settings\all users\nch swift sound\scribe\done" folder.

I have found that scribe tends to "forget" to delete files sometimes. It is not reliable when it comes to removing the "done" data files.

Also, I am not sure, but I believe that you need to leave the .txt and .dat files as pointers for completed work. The .wav files can be completed freely and, as these are the only files taking more than 1k of space, are really the only ones that must be removed.

• 2 weeks later...
You can also manually delete the .wav files in the "c:\documents and settings\all users\nch swift sound\scribe\done" folder.

I have found that scribe tends to "forget" to delete files sometimes. It is not reliable when it comes to removing the "done" data files.

Also, I am not sure, but I believe that you need to leave the .txt and .dat files as pointers for completed work. The .wav files can be completed freely and, as these are the only files taking more than 1k of space, are really the only ones that must be removed.

A much easier way to permanently delete files, is to click on the file you want to be rid of in ES , and hit Ctrl Del (control delete). It'll prompt you that you will permanently delete it. Perhaps you can use the new "Notes" function to say when it can be deleted. KRN