Running external exe

zircher

I'm using v5.05 of the VRS. I've created a small VB app that prompts the user for additional data and then renames/moves the file to the network. The program works fine when run as a stand alone utility, but when I try to get VRS to auto execute it, the window never pops up even though the program is running. [i can see it in the task manager.] I've even tried other programs such as WavePad. It plays the file, but nothing is ever displayed.

The first thing you might say, you're running it as a local service. I did read the help file and I did set up the VRS so that it runs on a user account, but I still get no dialog box. Any suggestions on how I can get the called exe to display?

--

TAZ

I found a way to get it to work for me. In the general tab of the option dialog window, if you uncheck "Run VRS automatically when this computer starts", the VRS program will not launch a service. You can then set up your program in the transmit tab and when it runs, it will run with the user's network ID and be able to interact with the screen.

The help file says that you can run your programs on a user account and they should run correctly. I should have taken that as 'could but will most likely fail unless you modify the properties of the service itself'.

Well, at least it works for me even if I can not take advantage of running a service in the background.

--

TAZ

Hi Taz,

The run external 'exe' option in VRS is designed to run scripts and not gui applications. We can customize it for you if you wish or you can continue using it as a non-service application in which case the window will appear.

This is a design decision...

• 8 months later...
Hi Taz,

The run external 'exe' option in VRS is designed to run scripts and not gui applications. We can customize it for you if you wish or you can continue using it as a non-service application in which case the window will appear.

This is a design decision...

Is it possible to run an application and to show the main window ?

I'v by VRS only for this option ... and it doesn't work ! :angry:

Do you have a solution ?