Grouped clips getting offset

Anne Rock

I have grouped video track 1 video and text overlay clips. When I group them, they line up. When I insert a clip earlier in the sequence, they no longer line up. 

I’m also seeing what looks to be VideoPad reordering my clips. I have spent many hours reordering them and then reordering them again. I have a 30 minute Youtube video i am so close to finishing except the clips keep disappearing or being reordered.

What gives?  I can see some of it might be user error, but not this repeatedly or to this extent.

Unable to replicate the issue, using version 13.43.

After grouping three video clips on track 1 with two text clips on track 2, then inserting a still image at the head (or anywhere) on either track, text positions held. Videopad should never reorder on its own.  More info would be needed to assess what's going on.  Someone will be glad to check out your project if you take the time to share.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

And, for protection, Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the caret to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

Thanks for sharing.

There were a number of editing errors in the project.  Most have been corrected in the revised project file linked for a short time in our PM discussion.  Download it, UNzip (right-click | EXTRACT ALL), open the resulting folder and double-click the VPJ file.

In the future, consider these suggestions...

•   Use the 64-bit release for complex and lengthy projects.
  •   Load only the files that will be used.  This should quicken caching as the program doesn't have to deal with superfluous content.
  •   Use grouping sparingly, and add keys (overlays) last.  They can always be dragged to new positions.  Or copied/deleted/pasted.  <ctrl-C to copy>  <ctrl-V> to paste.
  •   When inserting clips at existing split points use the ||< and >||  buttons under the preview window, to insert precisely.  Even when the timeline is expanded with the slider at the bottom-right... image.png  it's easy to drop inserts at slightly the wrong spot, which can result in unwanted snippets
  •   Break up the project - perhaps into four 5-minute (or so) segments.  Work on the 1st, and when everything checks out find a convenient cut point to end that part.  Export.  Then review the export for errors.  Move on to part two, and so forth.  Later, assemble the parts for the final edit.  The will speed up edit re-caching.  The final can be tweaked, of course.

Bear in mind that gaps in track 1 may be okay if covered by overlay video.  Storyboard mode displays only track 1.

In any case, especially for each sub-export, Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the caret to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

There are a number of different errors, so it's tough to say:  unwanted clip snippets, gaps, jump cuts, misplaced overlays.  Following the suggestions above should minimize a recurrence.

There are a number of scenarios that can produce unexpected results:  if a new clip is inserted into an old (not at the join with an adjacent clip) it will split the existing clip.  That may not be readily apparent when the timeline is compressed.

When inserting, keep a close eye on the timeline.  If you make a mistake immediately press <ctrl-Z> (EDIT | UNDO) to go back, step-by-step.  Or reload the most recent back up, if appropriate.

Always review the exports, to be sure that embedded errors - not apparent on the timeline - aren't causing issues.  That's a good reason to segment long projects, as each part can be checked.

Yes, there's a learning curve.

There were several instances in the project where snippets of clips appeared at a join, and a dissolve had been programmed.  That may have been due to insertions not made precisely at the join.

Also, there were clips that had been unnecessarily split, which in some instances caused a jump cut.  Placing the desired part of the full clip on a higher track - in essence, a patch - solved that.  Higher tracks take precedence over lower tracks.

If you chose to export your original project instead of using the video file linked in the PM, this release somewhat older release may give better results.