Can someone tell me about the encoder Switch Uses for AAC?

PC_Learner

Can someone tell me the name and source and possibly level of the encoder that Switch currently uses for .aac files? Is it FDK IIS or one of the other open source encoders? Or is it a licensed or proprietary encoder? This is mostly a curiosity question, but also for comparison and background about a problem I can't figure out.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if below are what you're referring to but you could also check this out

AAC/M4A ENCODER_TYPE ABR[BITRATE] VBR[QUALITY] [FORCE_MPEG2] [TNS]
ENCODER_TYPE - either "ABR" or "VBR"
ABR OPTIONS:
● BITRATE - entered in kbps e.g. 128
VBR OPTIONS:
● QUALITY - a value between 0 and 10
● FORCE_MPEG2 - either "TRUE" or "FALSE"
● TNS - either "TRUE" or "FALSE"
Examples:
● -settings .aac ABR 128 FALSE FALSE
● -settings .m4a VBR 100 TRUE TRUE

Thanks for replying, but this is just the SWITCH command line input used to invoke the AAC/MP4A encoder along with setting it's options. It doesn't contain any information about what the encoder used is. It could be an NCH developed encoder (of unknown quality), which is unlikely since development is expensive and several high quality open source encoders are available. It could be a licensed version of the highly-rated Apple iTunes AAC encoder, which is unlikely since I don't think Apple licenses that to third parties, or it could be one of the open source ones, which do have reviews that compare their features and quality.

So that's why I'd kind of like to know which one SWITCH uses, along with the fact that I'm not getting any useful response from Support about an encoder related problem I've reported to them. (They seem to want a video of my screen while the failure occurs, a pretty useless time-killing request since they haven't asked for a copy of the random files whose conversion to aac failed, or given me instructions for uploading either item.)