Bandwidth requirements for Intenet call routing

docuk

Hey, I'm new to the forum and to PBX really :)

I'm starting a small software company, but would like a professional call-routing solution (such as the one that can be achieved with the Axon software). However, I was wondering about the bandwidth required to route calls to softphone clients overseas.

Say I have a server running Axon in Florida and I would like to route calls to a softphone in London - would 2 megabit upload be enough for this operation to run smoothly? What kind of bandwidth do these calls require?

Thanks, docuk

• 1 month later...
Hey, I'm new to the forum and to PBX really :)

I'm starting a small software company, but would like a professional call-routing solution (such as the one that can be achieved with the Axon software). However, I was wondering about the bandwidth required to route calls to softphone clients overseas.

Say I have a server running Axon in Florida and I would like to route calls to a softphone in London - would 2 megabit upload be enough for this operation to run smoothly? What kind of bandwidth do these calls require?

Thanks, docuk

Depending on the codec you are using typically you need about 64k per call for good voice quality. You also need to remember that the remote party has to have the same available, so a dialup line will not work.