error opening Wav Files

Guest Walt Bowers

Guest Walt Bowers

I recorded a long book on tape using the Adobe Audition trial. The trial expired before I was able to finish editing, but I have the raw WAV files still. When I try to open these files, I get the message:

Cannot open filename.wav because the required ACM codec

is not installed on this PC

Open the file in Windows Media Player to auto-install the codec then

reattempt to load it

I have opened the same file I was trying to edit in Media Player and played it, then tried again to load the file in Wavepad, only to get the same message. When I opened it in media player, there didn't seem to be any indication of auto-installing anything, and I'm not sure how to do it manually. Any tips? Your help would much appreciated.

• 10 months later...

I have the same problem????

I recorded a long book on tape using the Adobe Audition trial.  The trial expired before I was able to finish editing, but I have the raw WAV files still.  When I try to open these files,  I get the message:

Cannot open filename.wav  because the            required      ACM codec

is not installed on this PC

Open the file in Windows Media Player to auto-install the codec then

reattempt to load it

I have opened the same file I was trying to edit in Media Player and played it, then tried again to load the file in Wavepad,  only to get  the same message.  When I opened it in media player,  there didn't seem to be any indication of auto-installing anything, and I'm not sure how to do it manually.    Any tips?  Your help would much appreciated.