Fitting 16:9 > 9:16, limited scale >3.00

Compjudersteffen

Hello,

I'm currently evaluating VideoPad as video editor for my daughter. One use case is to reframe a 16:9 video for 9:16 (I'd never do this for myself, but the Instagram junkies, you know...). In a second video track I want to scale up the original video and blur it, to use it as background padding. But the Scale effect only allows to scale up to a maximum of 3.00x, which for VideoPad is not enough to cover the whole 9:16 area with a 16:9 1920x1080 video. VP first resizes the video to fit into the new width of 1080, which results in a shrinked video height of 610px. Now the scale effect can't resize this to 1920px height anymore.

How can I fit a clipping of a 16:9 video directly into a 9:16 frame without VP first shrinking it down (for letterboxing it into the new frame) and then being unable to scale it up again?

Any help appreciated.

cu, Steffen

Hello Borate,

yes and no. The blurred background is fine. Now I need the actual video (the 16:9 in the orange border) not to be letterboxed into the 9:16 frame, but instead I want it to be in original size and only clipped by the frame. So the 16:9 video is overlapping the borders of the frame, and everything which overlaps is clipped for the output video. I'd like to add an drawing, but I can't upload an image in this forum...

cu, Steffen

Perhaps this...

In the bin, add CROP TO ASPECT RATIO 9:16 and BLUR effects;  place on track one.

Track two - same 16:9 image.

Export - 1080x1920 (9:16) Letterboxed.

Anything outside of the 9:16 frame will be clipped.  BG remains stationary.  Insert on track two can be scaled, positioned or otherwise manipulated.

A pan-centered, slightly scaled-up result ...  image.png