Files seemingly move themselves in my presentation, save function does not appear to work properly

notmeofficer

Hello Forum members

New to the software (purchased)  sv1.vpj*     System- Windows 10 pro (with all patches and upgrades)

I built my first two videos after a steep learning curve and posted them to Youtube without issue.

Now back for projects 3 and 4 and all I am having is problems;

1) Files move themselves in my storyboard each time I save and close. When I reopen they are in a different sequence. Sometimes whole group of files will move to a different place on the storyboard without me directing same. Talk about frustrating.

2) Storyboard .. what I see in the lower box does not match whats in the upper box on playback.. upper box plays files all out of sequence.

3) Gaps will appear and the close gap button wont close them and I have to use the time function and set it to zero to close the gap

4) Red pointer freezes and wont move backward in time along the storyboard

Hours of work becomes wasted time..

I appreciate any suggestions

Wrote tech support.. (thank you Borate for helping me so expediently)

You are using Videopad?  What version?  Look at the bottom-left corner of the window.  Install the latest.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Specifically, what are you referring to by "lower and upper boxes?"  Storyboard mode looks like this...

image.png

Above - is the bin window (top-left) where clips are imported, and the preview window that displays playback.

There should be no way the clips can rearrange themselves.  Please share your project so someone here can take a look.

The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Hello Borate,

Thank you for your help. I am very appreciative.

I am using Videopad Professional V11.34. I will check for an update.

33 minutes ago, borate said:

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Thank you for this info. I purchased this several weeks ago

Specifically, what are you referring to by "lower and upper boxes?"  Storyboard mode looks like this...

image.png

Above - is the bin window (top-left) where clips are imported, and the preview window that displays playback.

My window doesn't look like yours. I don't see the linked  audio at all, even when embedded. Its in the presentation but nothing shows in the linked audio line

There should be no way the clips can rearrange themselves.  Please share your project so someone here can take a look.

I would be happy to try to do this ... let me see what I can do.

Thank you for the very clear instructions . I will follow your directions. I would not be surprised if I am not making some fatal errors

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Thank you for telling me about this. I was unaware of the server limit. (or I forgot)

Respectfully,

Notme

Click this link for the latest 64-bit version.  We'll be awaiting the project.  If using Google Drive, remember to make the link public - not restricted.

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.   That way, you are protected.

Update

Many crashes

Downloaded above suggested version, made things even worse.

1)Opaque mask appeared over bottom half of story board

2)Files would not move with scroll feature, they had to be moved manually the limit of the storyboard in view

3)Gaps would appear after entering some new files. Gaps would not generally close using close gap command.. had to go into duration and set value to zero to have the gap disappear

Same issue as before... save it..even as a new version different name and upon reopen files would have moved

I received a help ticket response from NCH came back...-" Clear your cache"..followed those directions, no perceptible change that I can tell

Submitted new crash report.. auto response stated upgrade to most current version (beta .38 version) will fix your issues. Followed update directions;

Opaque screen over bottom half of storyboard now gone, other issues remain

I would try to send a copy and I don't mind it being public but it wont even save correctly without changing the slides upon reopening it.. after 20 iteration rebuilds.. well.. frustration..don't want to close it just yet.

Slides in sequence view do not match storyboard in latest attempt to run show. That was resolved by closing gap (manually) that appeared at end of show (a mystery to me why it appeared..)

I did sign up for the updates email

Thank you

Seeing or getting reports of nothing like that here.  Must see the project.  With it as complete as possible on the timeline, follow the steps above to upload and share please.  Most issues are quickly solved.

What is the PC's hardware:  CPU/GPU/RAM?

Do you menat that the files are in a different order than intended?  Don't save, then reopen.  Place the clips where they are supposed to be, then...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

Extended upload time on wireless dish to base station on close by mountain - 8mb upload.. working on 23/102 files... I will advise.. thank you

This will still be a work in progress I still need to add 2 MP3 files before it's final... but I cant work with the continued crashes so it's a good time to stop and see what I am doing wrong.

Intel (R) Core (TM)2 CPU E8400 @ 3.00 ghz, 2992 Mhz, 2 Cores, 2 Log

16G ram

Intel (R) Q45/Q43  express chipset

Direct x  version 12 via windows updates / no updates for intel..no further support

Thanks for sharing.

In three different VP versions, Storyboard looked and scrolled normally.  No shadows, no video gaps.  Did you update the video driver and Direct-X?

One file, Planet Pluto Cave had to be resolved because the file name, with an added -002, did not exactly match the named saved in the project.

In all releases, the audio track appears to be corrupt, with voice dropping out even though the waveform is present.  How that happened is anyone's guess;  it's never been encountered before.  If you need to adjust audio, split that track alone - not video - using the chevron to the right of the SPLIT button to choose the track.  If that's not done, video likely will be displaced.

On that project, you should be able to lay down all the images, drop in the initial opening audio music clip followed by the narration clip in its entirety, then add the final A/V clip.

Files that were not used were deleted.  They needlessly add to the processing load.  It's wise to Clear Unused Cache Files (OPTIONS | DISK tab) before beginning a new project.  That can be done anytime during editing as well.

You may spot that the music on the timeline has become MONO.  That's because the project contains two short stereo files and one long single channel (narration) file.  To retain stereo at export click the blue Default Qualty / Filesize link and choose the two-channel (stereo) option...

https://content.invisioncic.com/r33241/monthly_2022_03/2-channel.jpg.a1806467717ca29d5bc9611b0531cbea.jpg

Complex, lengthy projects may require higher processing power than you are running.

I believe you are most likely spot on about my computing power. I can tell its slow to respond. I opened the project this morning and the files are all jumbled in different order again (I did properly save them last night).  Also I had to resolve about 90 percent of them to get the project to open, that hasn't happened before, sometimes I get one or two. When I cleared the cache it was over 1600 mb.. that's hasn't happened before either... something happened (and way beyond my expertise)

The build date on the computer was 19 years ago with updates about 8 and 2 years ago.. but I am maxed out on everything and Im running 32 bit.

My driver has no further available updates from Intel.. I was running the most current version of direct x

I think its time for a new computer with all the power to run graphics and video all day long. I'm losing so much time for this and future projects investing in technology that has the capacity takes one issue off the table (This isn't the first time Ive had an issue with older equipment,, when trying CAD I had issues as well)

The computer below was suggested to me by a much younger gamer friend, If you have any thoughts I am open to suggestions on a built desktop. It would have dual purpose..primarily me for the videos I need to build and share for my community.. and my wife for professional GIS work (on rare occasions) when she might work from home

https://www.newegg.com/velztorm-pilum/p/3D5-000W-01FB8?IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

I will report back on a potential purchase....Im going to stick with this software and learn it even if it wears out my fingers

I do want to thank you again for all the time you spent with me on this. Your directions were always very clear and didn't take me down rabbit holes. Your teaching style was friendly and not condescending ( I give you four gold stars).  I'm always willing to try to learn.

Respectfully,

Notme

Leaning now that yours is a 32-bit PC, use this VP version.

Yes, a PC almost two decades old is very long in the tooth, but apparently it gave you good service.

Extensive video editing, CAD and the like are best with a 64-bit Intel 7 or 9 gaming class box or AMD equivalent and an appropriate video card.  Not familiar with AMD here, but the box you linked looks to be competent.  You will be amazed at the difference 19 years has made.😉

Consider working with an independent shop.  A knowledgeable tech may be able to recommend a unit that meets your needs without breaking the bank - the 'sweet spot.'

Download the export from the link in the PM.  Open VP and clear the cache, then import the exported file.  That will lessen the load greatly and perhaps allow you to add some final touches.

Good luck!