Video footage seems to freeze some way through

Qweertii

When I import footage into the editor, at first there is no problems. Then, when I manipulate the footage in any way (i.e., splitting a clip), the footage after a certain undefined point freezes and I have to close and reopen the editor to fix the issue. However, this seems to happen every time I attempt to edit footage now. Is this a common occurrence and if possible, how would I go about fixing it? (I am using Version 11.35, which I believe is the latest.)

Not normal, or reported.  What are your PC's specs:  CPU/GPU/RAM?  What format are the files that freeze?  How long is the project?

Prior to beginning a project, click OPTIONS | DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files.  This can also be done during editing to clear unused files.

When loading a project, or files, allow it to fully cache.  The green line above all video file thumbnails should complete.  image.png

As changes are made to a clip, there may be some re-caching, but that should take only seconds.

If yours is a complex or lengthy project, or uses high resolution large files, install the 64-bit version.

I use an Intel i5 Processor, with an Iris XE GPU, and I have 8GB of RAM. They are .mp4 files, and this has happened with a few projects of multiple lengths, two come to mind. One being about ~5 minutes in length, and another being ~1 minute and 45 seconds. Even after clearing unused cache files before starting said project, the glitch still seems to occur. I have also attempted to allow it to fully cache, but to no avail.

What is the resolution of the mp4 files, on average?  Have you tested the 64-bit version?

If you take a few minutes to share the five-minute project someone here will check it out.  The process isn't difficult and can be private.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.