Splitting Channels

JReed

I have a stereo file that has voice on one channel and music on the other channel. I would like to make these to seperate files so I end up with a file that is music and a file that is voice. How do I do this? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I have a stereo file that has voice on one channel and music on the other channel. I would like to make these to seperate files so I end up with a file that is music and a file that is voice. How do I do this? Thanks.

There is a way to do this I use Split Track Tapes. If you have a Tape player hooked into your Computer all you need to do is unplug the Side with voice, usualy the right channel. Then you will have to copy the recorded channel and mix it so you will have a right and left channel with the recorded music or voice. Do the same for the voice except record the voice only channel usualy the Left. B)

• 1 month later...

It would be nice if there were software to split channels and automatically save them to different files.

If anyone finds that software, let us all know.

In the meantime, here’s one way of doing it for multi-channels, using MPC and WavePad:

If you don’t have MPC (Media Player Classic 6.4.9), then you can download it at:

http://www.download.com/Media-Player-Class...tml?tag=tab_pub

Install it with no fear. It’s a free, open source media player primarily for video playback.

Once you have MPC installed, it’s quite simple:

1. Fire up MPC and go to “Audio Switcher” under “Internal Filters” in the Options window.

You’ll find it from the menu bar by clicking:

View > Options > (+) Internal Filters > Audio Switcher

You’ll see all the options you need, and then some, to configure your channels.

2. In the grid, select just the one channel that you’re interested in by checking it in the appropriate row and column and unchecking the others. (Remember to click Apply and OK to save these settings.)

3. Now play the file through MPC and record it through WavePad (using your internal sound card).

Repeat from step #1 for each channel of interest.

Could NCH rig up an Audio Switcher type of function in WavePad? Just something to think about … :)

• 2 weeks later...

You can also use Express Scribe, which support multiple channels and allows you to select which channels you would like to listen to.