Keeping clips together

John D

I am using Videopad to create videos for remote church necessitated by COVID19.  I have had two issues that have really extended the time that it takes me to bring all the pieces together.

Issue 1:  while recording the sermon, the pastor stopped and went back a paragraph,  Editing the clip to remove the error caused the clip to be split into 2 clips.  the issue is that if i do anything in the sequence prior to these clips that involves moving, i have found a high probability that the first clip will move and overwrite the first part of the second clip.  Is there a way to lock the relationship between the two clips so they always move together?

Issue 2:  we use an audio track with pictures showing during the audio.  If i attempt to change the duration of a picture in the middle, it can really mess up the rest of the pictured and everything that follows it including eliminating a clip that i have placed in the sequence.  

Both issues have caused no end of headaches trying to check and fix all transitions from the beginning to end of the video (usually just before the production deadline)

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Is there a way to lock the relationship between the two clips so they always move together?

Select (highlight) the two clips.  Then they will move in concert.  And, once selected, they can also be grouped if desired via the right-click menu.

If i attempt to change the duration of a picture in the middle, it can really mess up the rest of the pictures and everything that follows it including eliminating a clip that i have placed in the sequence.

Select the image that follows the one whose duration is to be changed.  Go to the end of the track,  hold down <shift> and click the last image on the track.  That will select everything within the range.  Now extend the duration of the image.

In this video all images are three-seconds.  In the middle, the face is clicked (selected).  Now <shift> is held as the final image is clicked.  Then the dog image that is ahead of the face is dragged to the right, making it longer.  All clips following it are moved to the right.  Only the first dog image duration was changed.

Can i link an audio track and a bunch of pictures do they also move together?

Sure.   And a track can be locked, so it isn't affected by editing of other tracks.  Right-click the the left of the track and LOCK TRACK.

Grouping will lock the clips together, until they are ungrouped.

Two tips:  Regularly SAVE PROJECT FILE AS, by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project icon and making that choice.  Give the save a unique number or name so as not to overwrite prior saves.  If just plain SAVE PROJECT is used it will overwrite.

If you make a mistake in editing, press <crtl-Z> to UNDO.  This will step back edit-by-edit.  It's the same as EDIT | UNDO from the menus.