convert sample rate doesn't work

AdamBomb

Recently downloaded and started using WavePad 3.02 after rebuilding my machine. It now appears that 'convert sample rate' always converts my files to 16k instead of the 22k that I am trying to specify. This worked properly in the previous version of WavePad I downloaded ~ 1 year ago.

Here are the repro steps I used:

create new file, record using default settings.

Save file as 96kbps bitrate .mp3.

do some post production on file, delete space, amplify, insert another file, etc.

convert sample rate to 22000.

save file as new 48kbps .mp3 file.

New file sample rate is 16000.

any suggestions?

• 3 months later...

This sounds similar to my problem. If you use Save As... instead of Save you can choose the sample rate of the file. It is not intuitive at all but otherwise WavePad seems to save files with a default sample rate regardless of how you set it within the program.

we actually just pass the conversion off to the lame encoder and let the encoder decide on the final sample rate based on parameters such as input sample rate, input bit rate, channels etc.

lame gave us a few issues in the past when explicitly specifying the output sample rate (i.e. it would hang/crash in some cases), so we decided not to put the option in. we're happy to re-examine it again though and see if lame is more stable these days.

That's interesting. If you look at my other note, you will see that I have a question about the output file being larger than the original. I also find an objectionable artifact when I save as mp3. I think this may be related to the fact that the choices for sample rate of the mp3 are not compatible with the original rate (aliasing artifact).

• 5 months later...

I had the same problem. All my mp3's were being sampled at 16K regardless.

SO, my workaround was to convert the sample rate to what I needed (22k in this instance). Then upon "save file as", I chose mp3 and OK. When the dialog box comes up with the options, I selected Variable Rate (even though I want constant rate), set both high and low settings to 32 bits (or whatever you need), set the quality to highest (0) and OK.

It will save the file at the correct sample rate. They now play fine in my Flash mp3 jukebox.

Hopefully this will work for you. :)

HKB