Help!

Guest letmein

Guest letmein

Anyone out there using a MAC for Express Scribe. I haven't been able to load any files nor been a able to get the function keys working. Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm running OSX.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vurayav
I haven't been able to load any files nor been a able to get the function keys working. Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm running OSX.

I haven't been able to load any files either, and I even tried loading files from NCH's own files on their own site.

I would sure like to find a Mac friendly solution to do transcription work with a foot pedal on my iBook.

I haven't been able to load any files either, and I even tried loading files from NCH's own files on their own site.

I would sure like to find a Mac friendly solution to do transcription work with a foot pedal on my iBook.

I have a .dct test file that I created on my MAC. I can load it itno Scribe and hear audio output then play with the speed and stuff. But Scribe will not convert the audio into typed text. Do I need ViaVoice or Naturally Speaking ? What's available for a MAC? Oh by the way if you wish I could email you the test file.

Thanks,

Chuck

I have a .dct test file that I created on my MAC.  I can load it itno Scribe and hear audio output then play with the speed and stuff. But Scribe will not convert the audio into typed text. Do I need ViaVoice or Naturally Speaking ? What's available for a MAC? Oh by the way if you wish I could email you the test file.

Thanks,

Chuck

Hi Chuck, Thanks for your reply. I'll email you my address so you can send me that file.

From my understanding Scribe will not convert the audio file into typed text, it's simply a player software so that you can do the actual typing.

iListen is the only transcription program I know of for the Mac, and unfortunately I do know that David Pogue himself says that there is no satisfactory transcribing program for the Mac. He himself uses a Windows machine just so that he can use Dragon Naturally Speaking. See here.

Hope that helps.

Susan

I'm another Mac user trying to get Express Scibe to work. I had good luke with the foot pedal working right out of the box no drivers or instalation required. However I also found a program called "USB Overdrive X" which allows you to define keystokes to any USB devices bottons. This worked as well.

As far as playing files, I succesfully loaded a .dct file from Express Scribes sample page. I also Loaded and played an mp3 file from iTunes. That worked fine. The trick was ctrl clicking the file on the desktop go to "open file with", then navigate to your Express scribe Application. The Load feature in Expresss Scribe never did work for me.

On a more distressing note, I was unable to load any .dss files, using either method. I'm still searching for a solution, when I find it I will post.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
I'm another Mac user trying to get Express Scibe to work.  I had good luke with the foot pedal working right out of the box no drivers or instalation required.  However I also found a program called "USB Overdrive X" which allows you to define keystokes to any USB devices bottons.  This worked as well. 

As far as playing files, I succesfully loaded a .dct file from Express Scribes sample page.  I also Loaded and played an mp3 file from iTunes. That worked fine.  The trick was ctrl clicking the file on the desktop go to "open file with", then navigate to your Express scribe Application.  The Load feature in Expresss Scribe never did work for me. 

On a more distressing note, I was unable to load any .dss files, using either method.  I'm still searching for a solution,  when I find it I will post.

Dave

Hi there Mac users,

I have .wav files for typing transcription that worked fine. All I did was the free download from the express scribe site last nite and then tried a .wav file and it worked fine. My questions:

I gotta get a foot pedal - I think I understand it has to be VPedal (I'm in Toronto, Canada and I found a distributor in British Columbia), right?

Non-techy lingo coming up... My USB ports on my G3 are full, but I have a hub (?or something) plugged into one of the computer's USB ports which gives me more USB slots - I should be able to use one of the USB slots in this hub thingy, right?

On the VPedal site there were alerts about QuickTime and Omni, new downloads apparently re OSX, those aren't my only software choices are they? I will be able to use the foot pedal with Express Scribe, yes? no?

When I use a foot pedal, I'll be able to stay in my MSWord document at the same time, right?

I don't need any other software, right? Express Scribe software + foot pedal and away I go, right?

In the Express Scribe software, I was afraid to set custom command keys because I was worrying about overriding existing system command keys, because the dialog box muttered something about how delightful my custom command keys can be because they'll be system-wide. Do I worry?

Thanks very much.

• 9 months later...
Guest toronto
Hi there Mac users,

I have .wav files for typing transcription that worked fine. All I did was the free download from the express scribe site last nite and then tried a .wav file and it worked fine. My questions:

I gotta get a foot pedal - I think I understand it has to be VPedal (I'm in Toronto, Canada and I found a distributor in British Columbia), right?

Non-techy lingo coming up... My USB ports on my G3 are full, but I have a hub (?or something) plugged into one of the computer's USB ports which gives me more USB slots - I should be able to use one of the USB slots in this hub thingy, right?

On the VPedal site there were alerts about QuickTime and Omni, new downloads apparently re OSX, those aren't my only software choices are they? I will be able to use the foot pedal with Express Scribe, yes? no?

When I use a foot pedal, I'll be able to stay in my MSWord document at the same time, right?

I don't need any other software, right? Express Scribe software + foot pedal and away I go, right?

In the Express Scribe software, I was afraid to set custom command keys because I was worrying about overriding existing system command keys, because the dialog box muttered something about how delightful my custom command keys can be because they'll be system-wide. Do I worry?

Thanks very much.

hi barb,

i know this is a bit after the fact, but i'm trying to figure out the same situation right now.

ie. Mac ibook, scribe, need vpedal (or comparable), in Toronto, wav files. used audacity to record.

anyone out there with thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

I was having this problem, too, at first. When I browse for files I can't choose the audio files directly - but I've found that if you select the folder that the audio files are in, then the program will load the audio files in that folder.

Hope this helps!

-m.

Guest Clevergirl

2 things...

*Really... check the discussion in the mac forum of this help system, because you'll find all the info you need there to solve this problem http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?showforum=23

*I finally managed to upload my audio files (mp3) from my iTunes folder rather than any other folder on my hard drive. Click on Load > Browse folders. In Browse choose (username of your computer harddrive) /Music/iTunes/iTunesMusic/...

*I have not managed to upload any other kind of file to use on a Mac. Including: aiff, .wav, ... OR to upload a file from a CD.

Really... express scribe for Macs bites the big one. :angry:

hi barb,

i know this is a bit after the fact, but i'm trying to figure out the same situation right now.

ie. Mac ibook, scribe, need vpedal (or comparable), in Toronto, wav files.  used audacity to record.

anyone out there with thoughts?

ibook, scribe, vpedal (I too am in toronto, ordered direct)....recording with Express Dicatate is very slick....all works as it should