Switch OS X 1.05 mp3 encoding crash fix

gregpen

Hello,

When I tried to convert any file to mp3 using Switch 1.05 OS X, it quits for no reason. Upon further inspection, I get the permission denied for lame in the Console.

Here is a way to fix Switch's lame encoder so that it will work. Note that this assumes Switch is installed in the Applications folder.

1. Open Terminal

2. Paste the following:

chmod 755 /Applications/switch.app/Contents/Resources/lame

:P:P:P:P:P:P

Hello,

When I tried to convert any file to mp3 using Switch 1.05 OS X, it quits for no reason. Upon further inspection, I get the permission denied for lame in the Console.

Here is a way to fix Switch's lame encoder so that it will work. Note that this assumes Switch is installed in the Applications folder.

1. Open Terminal

2. Paste the following:

:P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

Hiya Gregpen !

I'm amazed in looking through these forums and finding some one else has exactly the same thing going on with switch !

Everytime I go to convert a file to Mp3 it just closes itself down. :(

So I'm keen to understand your post chap, what do you mean by terminal and then where do I paste that info in above ??

Your help would be so, So appreciated.

Cheers chap.

Dan

Guest AudioJibe

Amazing. After ten years+ of *NIX platforms, I didn't even think to look at the console!

Sure enough, gregpen, the permission for the Lame lib inside Switch wasn't set properly (good thinking!)

For the extreme beginner, I'll help you with a cool OS X Terminal.app trick:

Copy the Switch application /Applications folder

then,

Go to your /Applications/Utilities/ folder.

Near the bottom is the Terminal application. Launch the application --when a window opens up, type the following in it (or copy and paste)

I'm using 10.3.9 on a dual 867 --it's working fine now and successfully converted many OGG -> MP3 files. There are a few gripes, like not being able to see the progress window when the app is in the background. Many Mac-only features, like key commands aren't supported. But, for a beta try for Windows programmers, it's not bad. Thanks and keep working on it, guys! :)

Amazing.  After ten years+ of *NIX platforms, I didn't even think to look at the console!

Sure enough, gregpen, the permission for the Lame lib inside Switch wasn't set properly (good thinking!)

For the extreme beginner, I'll help you with a cool OS X Terminal.app trick:

Copy the Switch application /Applications folder

then,

Go to your /Applications/Utilities/ folder.

Near the bottom is the Terminal application.  Launch the application --when a window opens up, type the following in it (or copy and paste)

I'm using 10.3.9 on a dual 867 --it's working fine now and successfully converted many OGG -> MP3 files.  There are a few gripes, like not being able to see the progress window when the app is in the background.  Many Mac-only features, like key commands aren't supported.  But, for a beta try for Windows programmers, it's not bad.  Thanks and keep working on it, guys!  :)

<_< Well It sounds great and I did the terminal fix but it changed nothing. Choosing mp3 and hitting convert still just closes the program. Help! Tim

<_< Well It sounds great and I did the terminal fix but it changed nothing. Choosing mp3 and hitting convert still just closes the program. Help! Tim

Hey Tim,

I guess after you pasted the code, you closed the app. That's why it didn't work. Just leave Terminal there while converting the file.

By the way, big thanks to gregpen. :D