Problems (a bug?) with multiple IP-networks

bsod

Hello

I just realized that Express Talk cannot be used on a computer with multiple physical network interfaces.

Due to our testing & evaluation needs our SIP proxy lie on a different network than my computer's default gateway. Thus, I have had to statically route all SIP related traffic to the correct network. But when I start Express Talk it registers itself with our proxy by using my computer primary address, which is wrong. It should use the secondary address as its the only one from which the proxy can be reached, and the proxy reach my computer, naturally. I tried to modify the "Public IP Address (if IP is static)" setting on the advanced network settings box but it made no difference.

Guest rschneid

This seems to be an issue with almost all SIP-softphones. I would call it poor software design. I have about 10 NICs defined on my XP notebook (VMware, WLAN, LAN, VPN etc.) and only on rare occasions those softphones pick the proper NIC to register with the SIP server. Sometimes, they even do nonsense like registering at the SIP server with one NIC and providing the IP-address of another.

This is so annoying!

• 1 month later...
This seems to be an issue with almost all SIP-softphones. I would call it poor software design. I have about 10 NICs defined on my XP notebook (VMware, WLAN, LAN, VPN etc.) and only on rare occasions those softphones pick the proper NIC to register with the SIP server. Sometimes, they even do nonsense like registering at the SIP server with one NIC and providing the IP-address of another.

This is so annoying!

I spent hours trying to figure this out, and I have to agree. I'd rather that Expresstalk (as well as Axon and Uplink) figure out what your network addresses are and then just let you pick them from a list. When using these products with more than one NIC (physical or virtual), the apps are wrong 90% of the time.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone determined a method to force Express Talk to use a specific network interface only? I am having this exact same issue using software called Hamachi on the same machine as Express Talk. I tries to use the Hamachi network interface which will not function properly. If I disable Hamachi completely, Express Talk works perfectly, but as soon as I re-enable Hamachi, it reverts back to that interface and stops working again.

Thanks,

Rob

• 3 years later...

Has anyone determined a method to force Express Talk to use a specific network interface only? I am having this exact same issue using software called Hamachi on the same machine as Express Talk. I tries to use the Hamachi network interface which will not function properly. If I disable Hamachi completely, Express Talk works perfectly, but as soon as I re-enable Hamachi, it reverts back to that interface and stops working again.

Thanks,

Rob

This is a old problem but we have the same problem. Our express Talk is connected thru a VPN so we have 2 IPs on the computer a "public" and a "private"(with the VPN) one.

For any reason, when the Express talk want to be registed, Express talk use the "public" ip that doesn't work. We force the private IP in the Static IP section and Express Talk never use it.

Somebody knows how to fix that?

We have to another problem where the connexion on the 5070 port failed (15% of the time it failed) ( I think it is a firewall issue) but do you know how to force Express talk to loop to another port until it get one who work? Because we change the port and the connection works.

Thanks for your time and help