from recorder to computer...HELP?

Guest hcluxton

Guest hcluxton

I am trying to transfer my dictation from a mini cassette recorder to my computer in Express Scribe. I bought the audio cable but I am not sure how to hook it up. I think I am supposed to put one end in the ear phone of the recorder but I dont know where to plug it in on my computer...microphone?...head phone?....where? ANY help is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!!

Hi,

You want to plug the cable into your computer's microphone input, if it has one. This is because the signal is going FROM the mini cassette unit TO your computer.

However, in order to transfer the audio on your cassettes to your computer, you may need to convert them to digital audio files. I have recently been working with a yoga organization to transfer years' worth of backlogged audio tapes to MP3's. It's not too hard. I use a program called Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). It's free, easy to use, and has all the important functions I need. I just hook up the tape player to my computer (via the microphone input), hit PLAY on the unit, and hit RECORD in Audacity. I can save in either WAV, MP3, Ogg vorbis, or Audacity's own file format, and do simple editing on what I recorded.

Hope this helps.

Jugney

I am trying to transfer my dictation from a mini cassette recorder to my computer in Express Scribe.  I bought the audio cable but I am not sure how to hook it up.  I think I am supposed to put one end in the ear phone of the recorder but I dont know where to plug it in on my computer...microphone?...head phone?....where?  ANY help is greatly appreciated.  THANK YOU!!