Relative Paths for Files

AJPeri

I have discovered that it is possible to have relative paths to files that are in a project. Relative file names refers to a file name that is written as: ./childrenplaying.avi (for example). By having such a file name, it is possible to move your folder to another location on your drive or another hard drive/computer and as long as the VPJ file is in the same folder, all files will open fine.

This is a GREAT tool if you are using different computers and have a need to be able to move your project and project files from one machine/drive to another, etc.

If you have absolute paths in the file names, i.e., c:/users/joe/video/childrenplaying.avi and you move the video file, video pad will prompt you that it cannot find the file and ask you if you want to locate it.

If you have lots of files this can be very tedious.

I have found that after I move the file, I can replace the i.e. c:/users/joe/video/childrenplaying.avi with ./childrenplaying.avi using the "locate" prompt.

So... my question.... the only way to change the filename to a relative (./childrenplaying.avi) is to change the file name to something different than the orgiginal (i.e. xyzchildrenplaying.avi), thereby forcing VideoPad to not be able to find it prompting me to locate the file. This is a pain. Is there anyway to force VideoPad to create relative paths instead from the outset?

This would be a GREAT feature if so. If not, does anyone know how I might edit the raw vpj file in a text editor with a save and replace to do the same?

THANK YOU!!!!