E-Scribe and Dragon Naturally Speaking 8

Echalky

I love express scribe it's wonderful, have little glitches every now and then but generally its great. Recently purchased Dragon blah blah to test how well I cd get it to do a broad transcription, but cant figure out how to do it?

I have set it up in scribe and the note pad tells me that its working but nothing much happening. A hint tells me to 'activate it' but no clues as to whether you are supposed to much more than tell it to use Dragon Naturally Speaking 8?? Stumped ;)

Guest adviser101
I love express scribe it's wonderful, have little glitches every now and then but generally its great. Recently purchased Dragon blah blah to test how well I cd get it to do a broad transcription, but cant figure out how to do it?

I have set it up in scribe and the note pad tells me that its working but nothing much happening. A hint tells me to 'activate it' but no clues as to whether you are supposed to much more than tell it to use Dragon Naturally Speaking 8?? Stumped  ;)

Dear Echalky, the technical support might already been looking at it, but as for now the Dragon Naturally Speaking is not compatible with NCH Swift. I'm so sorry! As you might have done so, one must set first or should I say, teach the DNS to learn/recognize specific dictator before it could transcribe it. The problem with it using the NCH is that you could not specify to the DNS which word is being said and how it could put it in written words. Ofcourse, once you have conditioned the DNS to all the dictators using its usual protocol then, by all means, you could use your NCH for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_cortmedical_*
Dear Echalky, the technical support might already been looking at it, but as for now the Dragon Naturally Speaking is not compatible with NCH Swift.  I'm so sorry!  As you might have done so, one must set first or should I say, teach the DNS to learn/recognize specific dictator before it could transcribe it.  The problem with it using the NCH is that you could not specify to the DNS which word is being said and how it could put it in written words. Ofcourse, once you have conditioned the DNS to all the dictators using its usual protocol then, by all means, you could use your NCH for that matter.

Adviser101

I am purchasing Dragon Naturally Speaking Medical Version - I plan to set up the Voice Rec Settings in Express Scribe and then allow the dictation audio (not my voice) to use the VRE and edit over that. I am not sure if NCH Swift is the same as Scribe but I was told it is compatable. Is it or not?

• 4 months later...
Adviser101

I am purchasing Dragon Naturally Speaking Medical Version - I plan to set up the Voice Rec Settings in Express Scribe and then allow the dictation audio (not my voice) to use the VRE and edit over that.  I am not sure if NCH Swift is the same as Scribe but I was told it is compatable.  Is it or not?

:)

Speech to text has come a long way but your desire to have DNS transcribe from any voice is not what the software promises.

I have a totally different idea of how DNS works! I am wanting to purchase it to augment my transcription as "once trained" it boasts 99% accuracy with recognition/transcription speeds of "up to 160 wpm" I don't type overly fast (65 wpm) and see the potential of being able to dictate faster than I type

99% seems really good BUT that means there is an error every 100 words -- that translates to one to six errors per typed page (depending on line spacing font size etc) so I expect some of the time saved will be used to proof documents carefully before they go out.

-- DNS needs to be "trained" to your voice to transcribe what you dictate into a word processor or email. I envision listening to the file I am transcribing bylistening through earphones to the expressscribe file and simultaneously dictating what I am listening to into a microphone attached to my computer -- It is my dictation that should be converted to text. I use Microsoft Word and Word Perfect -- I don't use the ES notepad but could see where ES would get a bit confused re: which audio to convert to text. Of course there is always the possibility that you are trying to transcibe your own speech (& Dragon has been trained to your speech) My understanding is that you should be able to use digital recordings of your own voice to generate text from speech. Perhaps it is this that you are being unsuccessful in using Express Scribe -- You might try to find out how to play that file from the Dragon Naturally Speaking people -- it took some digging but they have a wealth of information on their website.