IT Manager

Guest Diego Hernandez

Guest Diego Hernandez

Hi,

We have bought few Olympus recorder for our law firm which records in DSS format. I was told by my olympus dealer that DSS is a propietry format that can only be played with the Olympus software.

Can the Express Scribe software play the Olympus DSS format and what about the DSS licensing?

We are very concious about any software we install on our network and required licensing.

Regards,

Diego Hernandez

IT Managert

• 1 year later...

We use the software that came with the Olympus, but when we send the .dss files to others, they use Express Scribe and it works fine. I have researched this quite a bit. The copyright issue with the .dss files prevents conversions programs like Switch from converting files INTO .dss, so there is no program that I found that can do this. Nevertheless, there is no prohibition against using any program to transcribe the .dss files not against changing it to another format (and the new.aac format is about as compact). Hope this helps.

Guest nchto

DSS is a proprietary format, Olympus only gives as much support to third party developers as they choose, and right now all they choose to do is give limited support for converting from DSS on the PC platform, and no support at all on the Mac. Unfortunately some of the newer recorders don't implement DSS in a way that is compatible with our software. The only work-around that we can suggest is to make sure that the person sending you the files is using SP mode on the recorder.

DSS is a proprietary format, Olympus only gives as much support to third party developers as they choose, and right now all they choose to do is give limited support for converting from DSS on the PC platform, and no support at all on the Mac. Unfortunately some of the newer recorders don't implement DSS in a way that is compatible with our software. The only work-around that we can suggest is to make sure that the person sending you the files is using SP mode on the recorder.

So what portable recorders work best with this software - and use non-DSS formats? No hoops like Sony requiring conversion.....