DCT binary file format question

hammong

I have a transcription management application that we developed that makes use of NCH Swift Sound .DCT files. I need to be able to extract the dictation date/time and duration information from the file, but for the life of me I cannot decode the date/time data. Heres what I learned so far:

Time is stored in 2-bytes starting at position 0x12

Date is stored in 2-bytes starting at position 0x14

I tried several decoding methods to get a human-readable date/time out of the values, but I can't figure it out. Is there a publication of the binary file structure for .DCT somewhere that I can reference?

Greg

Guest Greg Hammond

Well, no thanks to support for helping me out with this problem, I did figure it out own my own and will post the answer here:

Bytes 0x12, 0x13, 0x14, 0x15 are a 32-bit Long Integer that represent the number of seconds elapsed since the beginning of the Unix Epoch, or January 1, 1970 00:00 UTC.

I had a write a routine in Cold Fusion to extract the 4 bytes from the binary file, convert them to the Long Integer, and then add the seconds to 1/1/70 00:00 with a date/time function to arrive with the correct date/time of the file data.

Good luck to anyone else attempting this! If you need more info, post back here.

Greg Hammond