Sound Quality

D-Anderson13

I'm having trouble figuiring out how to save an edited song to have the same quality as the original I start with. Everytime I edit a song and save it, the sound quality is terrible - there's little to no bass and it sounds very muffled. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

You should probably include a bit more specific information, as there can be many different factors involved here.

For instance, what file type / bit rate are the originals, and what settings did you use to save them? Whether ripped from an audio cd, copied from an mp3 file, or recorded from streaming audio with SoundTap or Golden Records, you usually have the option of choosing the file type and attributes.

Then you must choose the proper file type and attributes when saving your edited file in WavePad, which may depend on whether you want to burn an audio cd, or transfer files to an ipod.

And how are you listening to the playback (after saving the edited WavePad file) – sometimes I have experienced poor sound quality due to some conflicting software issues on my computer, but the file itself was actually ok.

Sorry...I wasn't sure what details anyone would need in order to help me.

The file I'm curently trying to work with is a song I downladed from iTunes. It is saved on my laptop in ".m4a" format. The bit rate of the original is 270kbps.

I don't know much about bit rates, but my goal is to burn the edited song onto an audio CD. I tried saving the edited version as an mp3, m4a, wma, and wav file, and they all sound just as distorted as the next after I burn them to a CD. The funny thing is that they all sound just fine during playback through the WavePad Sound Editor as well as when I play them back using Windows Media Player.

What do you suggest for the format and bit rate to use when saving the edited song in order for it to play as clear as the original after it's burnt to an audio CD?

You should probably include a bit more specific information, as there can be many different factors involved here.

For instance, what file type / bit rate are the originals, and what settings did you use to save them? Whether ripped from an audio cd, copied from an mp3 file, or recorded from streaming audio with SoundTap or Golden Records, you usually have the option of choosing the file type and attributes.

Then you must choose the proper file type and attributes when saving your edited file in WavePad, which may depend on whether you want to burn an audio cd, or transfer files to an ipod.

And how are you listening to the playback (after saving the edited WavePad file) – sometimes I have experienced poor sound quality due to some conflicting software issues on my computer, but the file itself was actually ok.

I am not an iTunes user and my experience with mp3s is limited.

But I suspect the issue lies with the m4a file, which Apple has DRM protected.

I’ll let you do the legwork – there are many posts in the NCH forums regarding this – sorry I couldn’t help.